SP Section House

2002p51

I needed something to fill an empty space on my layout and a section house seemed like it would be just right. I found an image of a Cotton Belt section house that once stood in El Paso, TX.

Cotton-belt-railroad-section-house01.jpg

It was not my intention to build this exactly but I used it for inspiration to build my own. Fortunately I also found the floor plan and that helped scale down the dimensions. The left side of the house contains a small kitchen and dining area. The first floor of the main section contains a living room and master bedroom. The upstairs is a dormitory for the rest of the section crew.

My building is completely scratch built using Evergreen board and batten siding, Plastistruct shingle roofing, and windows that I had in the scrap box. The steps are weathered railroad ties made from strips of basswood. The real building has a chimney for the kitchen but I don't think much of that heat would get upstairs to the dormitory so I added a stove pipe made from Evergreen rod as if there was a small wood stove up there.

SectionHouse-6624.jpg

SectionHouse-6626.jpg

Let me know what you all think. :)

Back