SP Portland Division Construction Update

FoamersNW

The Chief
Over the past few months work has somewhat progressed on the SP Portland Terminal - an HO layout set in 1958 which will call a 10x24 area home in half of a two car garage.

Here are some photos of the construction up to date. Ted (funnelfan) and Rich (rzoller16) dropped by today to work on some benchwork.

1. Looking towards the entrance - along the wall to the left will be the refinery area as well as the Portland Traction interchange
2. Towards the right side will be the freight house area and beginning of the yard which will be over 15 feet long. What you dont see yet is where the staging tracks will be at located below the benchwork.
3. Looking just to the left of the doorway will be the Front Street District chocked full of fruit packing houses, and a warehouse or two and large grain export terminal (I will need 40' box cars!)
4. Looking towards the area where the intermodal deramp (overnight trains) and the end of the yard to the left. Framing above will enclose the space for climate control after I put up some paneling (ease of removal to in case of garage door work).

Last edited by a moderator:
5. Rich Zoller noting the layout height.
6. Outside look into the room
7&8. Closer look at garage door containment area.

9&10. Outside looks
11 Note the setback for the garage door and the close clearance.

12&13. Detail of where the garage door "hides" in the area.

Still need to sand the drywall one more time and add paint, trim, all weather edging along the bottom for the outside.

Although I dont have an autocad system to draw the trackplan that Ted and I conferred on, I will attempt to do a few in paintshop and convert them to jpg files. The first will be the East Portland District where the line drops down to staging, and also where there is heavy industry and an interchange with the Portland Traction.

A couple of more of paintshop mock ups

I havent included the yard, but Lake Yard will consist of;

3 Arrival/Departure Tracks (54 car capacity)
6 Classification Tracks (74 car capacity)
Caboose Track (8 car capacity)
2 loco servicing tracks (6 locos)
MOW/RIP track (3 cars)
SP Overnight deramp (23 cars)

Switching will be done independent of the mainlines and the class and arrival/departure tracks are separated.

Unlike the drawing may suggest, the sharpest curve will be 18", but most will be 20-24".

Ted digitized the hand drawn trackplan for the Portland Terminal - Here it is.

well - having trouble in loading the file - ill try again later on.

Hey I missed this thread so far, Looks really good Robert.

Ken.

Ken -

Thanks - We last left off a couple of night ago with building the benchwork for the staging sections but ran out of 2 1/2" drywall screws. We should be back after it soon.

I just cant seem to get the trackplan jpg to load - Ted could you give it a try?

Ken -

Thanks - We last left off a couple of night ago with building the benchwork for the staging sections but ran out of 2 1/2" drywall screws. We should be back after it soon.

I just cant seem to get the trackplan jpg to load - Ted could you give it a try?

too big? or too many Mbytes? (kbytes):eek:

Ken.

Here is the plan. The mainline drops down on both the left and right side of the layout to a pair of twin staging yards under Lake Yard (eastbound and westbound staging).

Staging Yard - Check!

Here are some of the results of todays construction project - the completion of the lower staging yard on the SP Portland Terminal. Thanks to Ted Curphey for the help today. Steve Carter is working on a CAD drawing of the trackplan that I will post here when completed.

A. Showing the lower area of staging below the future Lake Yard
B. Looking at the frames for the risers that will hold the ramp tracks from the top level down to staging.
C. Corner of staging below East Portland District
D. Corner of staging below SE 2nd Ave District.

Back