SP/logging in Jersey

SPlogsNJ21

Having fun with this! Welcome any comments etc.

Attachments

• 46F82E03-257D-4F8B-9DA4-E20DBB2C5897.jpeg
    46F82E03-257D-4F8B-9DA4-E20DBB2C5897.jpeg
    564.3 KB · Views: 167
I’m modeling California/Oregon
Gotcha.....Any particular road in mind? There was a train load of them around here. I'm in Southern Ore., I can see Cal. from my door step. In Northern Cal. I've explored the old road beds of the McCloud RR, the Long Bell RR and some of the branch lines that came off the (ex) SP's Modoc Northern line.
In southern Ore, there are almost too many to mention. Back in the hey-day of logging railroads in the Klamath area, many of the roads were owned by California fruit companies. They were harvesting the great stands of Ponderosa pine to make crates for shipping their produce. To name a few....Ewauna Box Co., Big Lakes Box Co., Lamm Lumber Co., Algoma Lumber Co., Pelican Bay Lumber Co., etc. etc. Those were the lesser known RR's, as the OC&E (Oregon California & Eastern) is more well known, as is the Weyerhaeuser Co., Medco on the west side of the cascades as well as logging RR's on the Oregon coast. A few more in Cal. are the Pickering Lumber Co. Feather River Lumber Co. & the Yosemite SugarPine Co. to name but a few.
I'm going to model the Pacific Lumber Co. located at Scotia Cal., as I had picked up equipment for that RR, a few years ago.....in HO.
Cheers....

Gotcha.....Any particular road in mind? There was a train load of them around here. I'm in Southern Ore., I can see Cal. from my door step. In Northern Cal. I've explored the old road beds of the McCloud RR, the Long Bell RR and some of the branch lines that came off the (ex) SP's Modoc Northern line.
In southern Ore, there are almost too many to mention. Back in the hey-day of logging railroads in the Klamath area, many of the roads were owned by California fruit companies. They were harvesting the great stands of Ponderosa pine to make crates for shipping their produce. To name a few....Ewauna Box Co., Big Lakes Box Co., Lamm Lumber Co., Algoma Lumber Co., Pelican Bay Lumber Co., etc. etc. Those were the lesser known RR's, as the OC&E (Oregon California & Eastern) is more well known, as is the Weyerhaeuser Co., Medco on the west side of the cascades as well as logging RR's on the Oregon coast. A few more in Cal. are the Pickering Lumber Co. Feather River Lumber Co. & the Yosemite SugarPine Co. to name but a few.
I'm going to model the Pacific Lumber Co. located at Scotia Cal., as I had picked up equipment for that RR, a few years ago.....in HO.
Cheers....
2 Tracks, wow, thank you!
The way it started was my wife’s family was having a reunion at Mt Shasta. We took a day trip to Dunsmuir and I checked out the old SP turntable there etc, and the corrugated metal engine shed. I chatted with some locals about how SP used to be an essential part of the town. There was this one guy who told me about helpers, cab forwards. Even before I got home I started researching on line about those days and became intrigued with Daylights, Larks, black widow livery etc.
on a later trip to Portland a gentleman at a hobby shop there told me that logging was the biggest industry in that part of the world so then began that aspect. After I took apart the half posterior bench work I had in the attic at home I started thinking about a better layout in the basement which Covid has afforded me the opportunity to begin. With apologies to the historically accurate I’m not a “rivet counter” and what I’m making is informed by reality but not strictly governed by it. That said I have enjoyed reading about and studying photos of Union Lumber near Fort Bragg and Hull Oakes near Corvallis Or. I am looking forward to reading more about the roads you mention, and thanks again.

I’m not a “rivet counter”
Right? That's one of the neat things about model railroading, you can make it how you like it. I kind of split the prototypical/protofreelance model railroading. Like a million others, I like the transition era, so I'm pretty defined on acquiring equipment specific for the period. But, I have no problem acquiring a particular car or whatever that is era correct, but that never ran on the RR I'm modeling. Like the cinder hauling cars I made for the Pacific Lumber Co., they're era correct, but the PLC never had any.
You had mentioned the SP at Dunsmuir, They pulled many a log train here in southern Ore. The box companies I had mentioned above all came together at a station named Kirk, from there, the SP pulled the trains to Klamath were the vast majority of the mills were located.

Right? That's one of the neat things about model railroading, you can make it how you like it. I kind of split the prototypical/protofreelance model railroading. Like a million others, I like the transition era, so I'm pretty defined on acquiring equipment specific for the period. But, I have no problem acquiring a particular car or whatever that is era correct, but that never ran on the RR I'm modeling. Like the cinder hauling cars I made for the Pacific Lumber Co., they're era correct, but the PLC never had any.
You had mentioned the SP at Dunsmuir, They pulled many a log train here in southern Ore. The box companies I had mentioned above all came together at a station named Kirk, from there, the SP pulled the trains to Klamath were the vast majority of the mills were located.
Nice! Hope to make it up there one of these years. Interesting info 2 Rails! Thank you!

Back