Southern Railway History

Smoke

Southern Railway lives on
What do you think of this timelime? any changes I should make? I'm still waiting for the delivery of the SD80MAC's 8 years later.:rolleyes:

1980- CSX is formed and is now a major threat to Southern's business.
1981- Talks begin for merging with Norfolk and Western to keep up with CSX and others. The name decided upon would be "Norfolk Southern" or "Southern and Norfolk"
1982- With the merger talks almost complete, the president of Southern Railway finds some "funds" left by the first president of Southern Railway-Samuel Spencer.
1982-Talks end with Norfolk and Western of merging and Southern now purchases the Norfolk and Western.
'82-'90-Southern continues to buy out weaker railroads and is quickly becoming a powerhouse.
1991-Intermodal becomes a big success for Southern furthermore increasing Southern's funds to upgrade track and buy new locos.
1999- Southern continues to upgrade track and purchases a fleet of SD80MAC's.

I'm afraid I know so very little about the area, but your history sounds good. I kind of like the name Norfolk Southern, although I can't say why. Maybe it rolls off the tongue more easily. What paint scheme are you thinking of, or will it be patch jobs?
Interesting development it is!

smiley-cheers.png
Willis

Your description of the history of Southern is strikingly similar to the real history of NS.

• early 1979: John Fishwick, president of N&W initiates merger discussions with Southern
  • October 1979: discussions ended abruptly
  • June 1980: merger agreement reached between Southern and N&W
  • November 1, 1980: Chessie System and Seaboard Coast Line merge
  • December 1980: merger application filed with ICC
  • June 1, 1982: Norfolk Southern created by merger of Southern Railway and Norfolk & Western Railway
  • January 1, 1991: Southern Railway reorganized as Norfolk Southern Railway. N&W becomes a subsidiary of NS
  • June 23, 1997: NS and CSX apply to take over Conrail
  • August 22, 1998: Conrail takeover approved. NS gets 58%, CSX gets 42%

Since Conrail had SD80MACs and brought them to NS, it looks like much of your story works out, even to the year almost.

I'm afraid I know so very little about the area, but your history sounds good. I kind of like the name Norfolk Southern, although I can't say why. Maybe it rolls off the tongue more easily. What paint scheme are you thinking of, or will it be patch jobs?
Interesting development it is!

smiley-cheers.png
Willis
This one!!!
img5757yw7.jpg

-Smoke

Back