Soundtraxx Tsunami Sound Decoder

SP4439

Picked up a Soundtraxx Tsunami sound decoder from my LHS, I have never heard or used a Tsunami decoder, just wondering about the good the bad and the ugly of the decoder if any? Thank you for the input!

What kind of engine is it going in? You've made an excellent choice. The Tsunami has by far the best sound effects for steam of any decoder out there. I have a friend that has one in a Rio Grande K-27 and it just blows me away that you can get such beautiful syncronization from the Tsunami. You can watch the piston slides and the exhaust and intake sounds were in perfect sync with the piston rods. The whistle is outstanding - you can really "play" it if you know what I mean with steam whistles.

There are only two downsides. The first you already know - it isn't cheap. Second, they don't make one for diesels yet, dang it. :)

A friend of mine has a Tsunami installed in a narrow gauge locomotive he has and the sounds, Whistle, Bell & Chuff are phenomenal!

I'd say you didn't make a bad choice at all!

What kind of engine is it going in?

Im putting it in a PCM Reading T-1. I have the medium steam. i listened to the samples on the soundtraxx website and i like the sound of the chuff its really nice and crisp. I also got it at a deal at $95.00 NIB from the LHS.

The whistle is outstanding - you can really "play" it if you know what I mean with steam whistles.

Yeah i know what you mean about playing or adding a "signature" to the whistle, as i am a fireman and engineer for two steam tourist roads and i have been looking for a good sound decoder that will more closley make the sounds most realistic to a real locomotive. Thank you for the input, i cant wait to get it installed!

I have my tsunami decoder wired up to an NMRA 8 pin plug wiring harness awaiting for my locomotive to arrive via UPS today, cant wait to plug it in and try it out to see how it works! I am putting it in a PCM Reading T-1 2102.

Cool! Let us know how it sounds in that big steamer. If it's as good as it was in that little K-27, it will blow you away. I hate tell you this but you're going to hate any other steam engines you have that don't have sound so be prepared to open your wallet again. :)

I have the heavy, light, and light logging. All are excellent as they come in the default setting, but after you learn all the hundreds of CV's you will be amazed at the sounds and PERFORMANCE of the Tsunami. I strongly recommend you downloading the "Tsunami User's Manual" from the Soundtraxx site. Also, remember that the speaker installation will make it either the very best or only average.;)

yeah i have an athearn genisis challenger with sound also. only two steamers i have and both have sound. anyways yeah i test fitted it in to the tender and set the speaker right above where the factory speakers would be (2101 i bought without sound) and it sounds great firing down at the track! i sure like the sound of the air compressor the best so far! ill keep an update and maybe a video real soon.

Ive started reading the user guide to programming the decoder. but i am really confused on the bit value for cv29 to get 128 speed steps. value's and bits are very confusing, if anybody can help define it better than the manual does the help would be really great.

i ran into some problems installing my tsunami sound decoder into the PCM Reading T-1. The tender frame is die cast and has casting for two round speakers, i would like to use them but i do not know if the decoder will support two speakers without frying the decoder, so right now im using an oval speaker (recommended by soundtraxx ). if you use the 8 pin plug there is no room for the speaker the decoder and the factory board in the tender all together without removing the weight from the tender and then it will all fit together, and then it will too light to pickup any power without stuttering. its so frustrating, im going to email soundtraxx and see if i can wire in two speakers, if not i am going to mill the frame so i can fit this all in the tender and put the weight back in.

Sorry to be so long: Yes, you can wire-in two speakers. I thought that the Soundtraxx site and manual had instructions for this (also, Tony's Trains.).

I removed one of the weights from my 4-8-2 for the fit. Also, don't be afraid to "S--t" can the light boards and hard wire the decoder. If you peel back the shrink tubing around the end of the Tsunami, you will see that it has a plug on the wiring harness.

install Tsunami in Genesis Challenger & Heritage Y3

yeah i have an athearn genisis challenger with sound also. only two steamers i have and both have sound. anyways yeah i test fitted it in to the tender and set the speaker right above where the factory speakers would be (2101 i bought without sound) and it sounds great firing down at the track! i sure like the sound of the air compressor the best so far! ill keep an update and maybe a video real soon.
I would like to see this Tsunami (and speaker) installation in the Challenger. I have one that is not sound, nor dcc.

I also have just today acquired a used 2-8-8-2 loco with sound added. BUT they put the speaker pointed out (up) from the coal load? As I understand it this is not the best installation??
Also the engine does not run on a plain DC track, which I understand the Tsunami decoder should be capabile of ? Or is it a function of how the decoder has been programed?

I'm new to the sound and dcc world, but I have a number of Lifelike 2-8-8-2 locos I would like to put a Tsunami decoder into. Any hints at where I can find installation pics of this??

Last edited by a moderator:
Tsunami sound in Allegheny

What 'factory sound' was utilized for the Lifelike 2-8-8-2??
..and for the Rivarossi Allegheny??

Are there some photos or diagrams of these two installations?

I would like to install sound in my two Allegheny 2-6-6-6

So you are up in the York, PA area. What a great scale model railroad the York Club has. Its been a few years since I visited, but I always thought it was worth the trip.

Do you know where I might find a picture of the interior of the Allegheny, and the Lifelike Y3, 'factory installations?? Did either of them utilize twin speakers facing down in the tenders??

I may ask you for a quote, but at the moment I have a lot of work to do with the inauguration.

There are only two downsides. The first you already know - it isn't cheap. Second, they don't make one for diesels yet, dang it. :)

Oh yes they Do!:D Ive got them in my B&O E7's (Proto) and they sound great! Also, coming to a LHS near you (mine just got them) is a new Tsunami with an Atlas style board! Gotta get some soon for my other GP38s! Best part, the Atlas board is 10 bucks cheaper than the original Tsunami's!:eek::D

I would like to see this Tsunami (and speaker) installation in the Challenger. I have one that is not sound, nor dcc.

I also have just today acquired a used 2-8-8-2 loco with sound added. BUT they put the speaker pointed out (up) from the coal load? As I understand it this is not the best installation??
Also the engine does not run on a plain DC track, which I understand the Tsunami decoder should be capabile of ? Or is it a function of how the decoder has been programed?

I'm new to the sound and dcc world, but I have a number of Lifelike 2-8-8-2 locos I would like to put a Tsunami decoder into. Any hints at where I can find installation pics of this??

I got around to picking up another tsunami and put in my athearn genesis challenger, i had sound so i had to take out the MRC decoder. It is super simple to install using the wire and plugs that came with the model, I cant remember right off hand but the out side two wires is track pickup ( in order right wire right rail etc. ) the next two inside are motor control, and then the two in the middle are for the headlight. simple enough, i just soldered the decoder wires to the PC board with the plug for the wires between the engine and tender. Now my next toy will be a Tsunami 567 for my A-B-A set of athearn genesis F9's

Genesis Challenger

... I had sound so i had to take out the MRC decoder...
Ahh, I didn't know you had sound already.

1) Where were your speakers mounted?
2) Does your paper work show a diagram of the spearker installation??
3)...one or two speakers

Last edited by a moderator:

Back