Soundtraxx DSD-101LC Owners

BNSF dude

BNSF foamer
Anybody who owns a DSD-101LC Diesel sound decoder could you please help me? I havent recieved it yet but I amd planning on putting it in my Kato F40PH, I want strobes and Flashing ditchlights on it. Will the 4 "Hyperlight" functions allow 4 effects? Plus headlight's and rear headlights? Thanks

The LC decoder only has 2 light outputs. They can be configured as headlights or to do various strobe effects. But it's an either or deal.

I have one in a SW1500, but I only have a headlight and a rooftop strobe.

Right now, Soundtrax really doesn't have any spectacular diesel decoders. You can deal with the LC series which I think sound pretty good but the motor control is not the greatest. Or you can go with the DSX and another decoder for motor and function. I did this in an Alco RS3, but programming is a bit of a pain.

The new Digitrax stuff would probably do what you want, but I'd listen first. Some folks are impressed with the sound, I still reserve opinion. I did one of the boards that takes the Soundbug. Easy install, great motor control and lighing effects, but the sound is much too quiet for me. Yes, the speaker is properly baffled.

Wait a few more weeks and grab one of the new QSI Revolutions that are supposed to ship in May. Great sound and it will do all the effects you want.

Only 2? forward and reverse? It says they have 4 on the website.. I'm talking the "101" series, It says that they added a few more features to it.. I'm too impatient for the QSI Revolution decoders, plus they are un-prototypical for an EMD F40PH. (I'm even dissapointed with their SD40-2 sounds, they sound like an SD38-2 with a GE turbo clip slapped on it, BAD QUANTUM!)

Not sure where you read 4 on the web site.

I have 2 LC101 decoders. One 1st gen EMD, one 2nd gen. Both decoders only have headlight and rear light outputs. The outputs can be configured to do strobes and such, but there are only 2. From what I read, the board replacement (LC100) style have the same kinds of light outputs.

Oops, seems you are right. Oh well, good thing.. I don't have to drill holes in my cab anymore :D. How would I go about getting the LED headlights in my F40PH to "Rule 17 dim"?

Make sure to download the LC Manual and Technical Reference from the Soundtraxx site. The instructions that come with the decoders are a little sparse.

Page 26 in the Manual has some instructions on Rule 17. I always, at least initially, use the programming track so I know what value was in the CV when I start. That way if something doesn't work right, you can at least put it back.

Back