Sound System Installations

Fergmiester

M.E.S.S. Maker
As I am now doing sound system installs I'm starting to find the quality of sound differs from tender to tender. I suspect this is due to several factors such as cavity size, speaker size, speaker orientation as well as system quality.

As there seems to be a new revolution or in some cases a revolt!

The question begs to be asked:

Tell us how you're installing your systems

What works what doesn't and what are you using and why

How do you like your speakers? pointing up or down, single or double, 1/2" or 1".

Fergie

As stated by someone on the "Other" forum
"I like mine Sunny Side Up":p

This was my first attempt at installing a sound system

agr.jpg

This was a 3/4" oval speaker installed in a LL 2-8-4. The sound system is a Soundtraxx LC 100 Heavy Steam. Sound level was weak and disapointing

After asking the question to several forum members it was suggested I should try using the Tender shell as the cavity. So I sealed it up tight and added a heavt styrene baffle.

ags.jpg

What an improvement! not only are there holes in the coal but there was also a space at the rear of the coal bin. For an LC the sound is not bad at all.

Fergie

There's something to be said for modeling the steam era.... plenty of room for electronics gear in those tenders!

Your installation looks good.

Very neat installation, Fergie. Don't be afraid to add more holes in the coal load. Mine have about 3 times that many. 'Mo better!';)

It gets better! This is another installation I did earlier today. Very tricky as I wanted to put in a very large speaker into an unusual space, a Vanderbilt tender. This is a CNR K5a Hudson with a Tsunami Medium Steam sound decoder and the sound is the best to date!

K5a_Tsunami_Install_1.jpg

CN_K5a_Tsunami_Install_2.jpg

Fergie

Last edited by a moderator:

Back