Sound suggestions????????

I am looking into buying a sound decoder for a Atlas or Athearn HO loco. I am wanting to use the Soundtrax decoders. I think that they are only sound for the loco and horn specific versions that I am looking into. Anyone with experience in this please share all your experiences with me. I will be using Digitrax motor decoders.

Raymond,

You are correct in that Soundtraxx DSX decoders are sound only, and have pretty specific sounds on them. Because of the specific sounds, there are several different versions available, based on your particular locomotive needs. You will need the Digitrax (or other brand) motor decoder to go with it.

Soundtraxx also just came out with new DSD-101LC sound, light & motor decoders. While less expensive than the DSX decoders, they are intended to be low-cost, and may not have the level of sound quality you might be looking for. But they should be superior to their older-generation DSD-100LC decoders. Also, I don't think any of their LC decoders have silent motor drive. I have a -100LC in a Spectrum 4-8-2, and the motor has a bothersome growl to it. I suspect it's because of the lack of silent motor drive (all my other locos have NCE decoders with silent drive and none of them growl). I'd like to replace it with a Tsunami, which does have silent drive and better quality sound.

Also, did you consider a Digitrax sound decoder? I don't really know much about them, I just know they exist.

Loksound decoders can be re-programmed to get what you want, as long as they have it, and you get it before anything happens with the QSI lawsuit.

(What is up with our new digital world, we're all suing each other)

I do know that Digitrax has some some new sound decoders and have not really considered them yet. As I like the options that Soundtrax offers for variations on EMD and GE and with the different horns. Thanks for the info.

Steer far, far, far, away from MRC. I have done several LokSound installations and they sounded good to me. I have two Soundtraxx decoders, a Alco DSD (pre LC and all that) and a EMD DSX and am happy with them.

Steer far, far, far, away from MRC. I have done several LokSound installations and they sounded good to me. I have two Soundtraxx decoders, a Alco DSD (pre LC and all that) and a EMD DSX and am happy with them.

Understand that. Am looking to Soundtraxx, Loksound and Digitrax. I am still leaning stuff as I go so that I why I am researching the best options for the best sound units before I invest that money into this.

Back