Sound for HO Atlas RS-1?

rockislandfan

I've this Atlas RS-1 which is the latest RS-1 run Atlas made. It was the stock DC version #7120. I installed an old Atlas 340 decoder in it and it runs just fine on DCC ( although a very tight fit :D ).

stocknumber7120RIRS1Atlas.png

My question is has anyone ever installed a sound decoder and speaker in this switcher? Or does anyone know how to do it?

Thanks.

rockislandfan,

I did and RS3, which for the most part is the same as an RS1. I used a soundtraxx decoder for a first generation Alco. I mounted the speaker up against the the large fan. works very well. I drilled out the fan on the shell and replaced it with a mesh fan. On the RS1, i believe the underpart of the shell for the fan comes out so it would be open. The front lights would have to be 1.5 volt bulbs 3mm bulbs, because there isn't much room for anything else.

Hope this helps.

Bob A.

got pics grumpybob?

RIfan--- very nice loco ....I likes:D

I will have to post my RI RS-1 and RS-2s and RS-3s for ya! :p They are all Atlas with Kato power drives...real beauties!;)

rockislandfan,

I did and RS3, which for the most part is the same as an RS1. I used a soundtraxx decoder for a first generation Alco. I mounted the speaker up against the the large fan. works very well. I drilled out the fan on the shell and replaced it with a mesh fan. On the RS1, i believe the underpart of the shell for the fan comes out so it would be open. The front lights would have to be 1.5 volt bulbs 3mm bulbs, because there isn't much room for anything else.

Hope this helps.

Bob A.

Thanks for the info Bob. I'll check out soundtrax ( probably at "Tonys Train Xchange" ). Both lights are factory 3mm LED's and are close to looking like "Yeloglo" by Miniatronics but some different brand. Real bright though.

@Alcomotive,
Atlas engines with Kato power drives? Why? I've 6 different atlas engines with stock Atlas drives, if they had more power I wouldn't have any track left. :rolleyes: Well almost. Ok time for my shot ( I've RR fever lol )
nurse11.png

Then off to play.
train111.png

Last edited by a moderator:
alcomotive,

Sorry, didn't take any pictures yet, Still waiting for some detail parts.

Rockislandfan,

Yes, Tony's should have what you need.

Bob.

Yeah back on the 80s some of the high end Atlas in that time period had Kato drives which are excellent. I love all of my units. I never owned any other than these Alco series by them at that time. I am not sure if they did it with EMDs or GEs during that time period. The 80's was an interesting time for MRR I think cause different companies were striving to use the new technologies of the computer age that was coming fast. I remember how Bowser, Atlas, Kato, and Stewart were really trying to advance. By the way I really like the Stewart locos too. Although i do not own any but some of my friends have some really sharp looking F units from F3 all the to FP9s. Great stuff and powerful runners as well as quiet. I think Grandeman has some Stewart Hobbies F units in his stables. Any way tonight I will finally have time to post my pics of my RS locos....

Later!

RS-1 out of service, getting looked at for sound. :D

Wheretoputspeaker.png

Starting to get dark, where the h--- is that engine?

Waitingforengine.png

Finally 12 hours later. :(

Backinguptopasscar.png

OOhh, who's the new gal in town? ( upper left window )

Galinwindow.png

Advertisingmaybe.png

Lousy pics ( need new camera ) and a lot of work to do yet. :)

DeerCreekscene.png

Oh yeah, back
ontopic1.png
I'm starting to measure up the ole RS-1 and I just may be able to fit a 20mm 100 ohm "LokSound" speaker facing down under the front light bar and just over the front power truck. Seems there is just enough space with about 5mm clearance to spare. Might go with "LokSound" #72495 which is an ALCO 539 6cyl.+2chime airhorn sound decoder. Well heres the specs but I don't think the 23mm speaker will fit. "HO/N, 1.1 A continuous, 4 functions, 4 8bit sound channels with Back EMF and Super-Silent motor drive. Size: 1.22” long, 0.61” wide, 0.26” tall (35mm x 15.5mm x 6.5mm). The HO/N LokSound is supplied with a 23 mm (0.91") speaker and enclosure.
Now where did I put that ruler?

some inside shots of the RS3.

The first shot is of the inside of the shell with the speaker buried under a plastic casing. The second shot is of the Vent replaced with a photo-etched screen. The third shot is more of a side view of the set up.

Hope this helps. I went after the soundtraxx because of the price. I know loc-sound has a good unit as well. just the price tag was a little too much right now. Looking at the possiblity of using one in a S2.

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I copied the last three pics and will try to blow them up some then enhance them so I can see a little better. But I get the general drift. At Tony's the price for the LokSound 3.5 DCC sound decoder with S&H is $117.49 ( USA ). Got to wait till July though before I can order as to many things on the agenda. :)

I appreciate you showing me the open look though Bob.

thanks31.png

Back