Sound for an RDC...

Rapido just released a great looking RDC 1 with DCC and sound. Pricey, but fantastic details. So far as a decoder goes, I am a DCC dummy.

Rapido just released a great looking RDC 1 with DCC and sound. Pricey, but fantastic details. So far as a decoder goes, I am a DCC dummy.

I know of that one but I already have an RDC-1. I am going to covert it to DCC and sound.

Hey Bill, good to see you, we miss you in the coffee shop!

Here is a video of and RDC-1 with a Digitrax SDH164 take a look and listen, what you think of the sound? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edG2X-Mr-O0

I would not know one from another because I don't know what they should sound like, but there are other videos on YouTube.

I know of that one but I already have an RDC-1. I am going to covert it to DCC and sound.

Bill, I believe Rapido uses ESU Locsound. They might have a suitable sound. For all the time spent around RDCs over the years, I don't recall what they sounded like outside. Inside, they reminded me of a GMC bus, with the torque converter drive.

Bill, I believe Rapido uses ESU Locsound. They might have a suitable sound. For all the time spent around RDCs over the years, I don't recall what they sounded like outside. Inside, they reminded me of a GMC bus, with the torque converter drive.
Thanks but I checked what they have and nothing is close. Maybe when Rapido releases their RDC, they will have something.

I have not done this yet myself, but DIGITRAX sound/DCC decoders can be loaded with sound files of the users choosing. They might)??) have a RDC sound file on the web??. I have an interface module, just have not downloaded the software for it yet.

I am an Nscale guy and most of my RDCs are Kato and I have installed DN135 or DN136 decoders in them. Since the SDN-136 sound DCC decoders use the same wiring harness connector adding sound would be a simple matter of unplugging the DN135 or DN136 and pluging in a SDN136 and mounting the speaker.

I would look for any diesel powered railcar and try that, maybe look at a small diesel like a whitcomb that may be gear powered, soundtraxx has some like that.

As a young pup I rode RDC railcars regularly, I was even invited to ride in the control area with the engineer. I guess he sensed my great interest as a young fellow. The speedometer often reached 85 miles per hour! The engine sounds a lot like a Detroit Diesel v-8 318 truck engine with one upshift. There isn't many of these around anymore either. RDC's were powered by Detroit Diesel engines, only in an opposed cylinder arrangement.

Mel

Back