Something of Interest for You SRR Steam Fanatics.

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Hi all. We ran across something I felt was noteworthy here in Augusta today. While crossing a via duct over a small yard on Hwy 25, I noticed a watertank to the side of the track. Closer inspection revealed a coaling conveyor as well! Cool stuff left over from the days of steam on the Southern... :cool: Maybe some of SRR modelers can make good use of them.

To anyone interested, I've got a few additional pics.;)

160944172.gif

160944204.gif

160944211.gif

Remnants of the switch used to bring coal to the storage bin.
160944193.gif

What I find even more amazing than the pics, is that the last SRR steam ran in 1953, (I believe), and that this steel tank and conveyor are basically still intact in this day and age.

Question Eric, are you in Augusta for business or pleasure?

Cjcrescent said:
Question Eric, are you in Augusta for business or pleasure?
Hey Carey. I'm here with one of the airplanes for some major engine work. Been having fun watchin trains though...;)

Here's a few more pics.

This one isn't as sharp because I used the digital zoom, but it shows part of the conveyor mechanism.
161019943.gif

This angle shows the concrete coal storage bin. Remember, there was another track to supply it.
161019914.gif

Here's LGM with part of the switch lock mechanism that I believe went to the coal supply track switch. It was on the ground by where the switch would have been.
161019928.gif

Though I'm interested in historical structures of this sort, I posted this because it would be super easy to model. Think what it it would add to a layout's operation. It's a stop for steamers obviously, but also has to have coal hoppers switched to feed it. I wanted to show the track work, it's relation to the small freight yard, the coal bin, conveyor and water tank in case anyone wanted to duplicate such a facility on their layout.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a great find, Eric! Thanks for sharing.
That does give me ideas for some of my rural tracks.

FYI: I have sent you an email postponing my ARG meet. Can't get ready in time. You an LGM have an open invite anytime.
When you get back from your trip, let me know and we will find a time.

EDIT: Oops! Just got your reply email, Eric.

Last edited by a moderator:
RexHea said:
What a great find, Eric! Thanks for sharing.
That does give me ideas for some of my rural tracks.

FYI: I have sent you an email postponing my ARG meet. Can't get ready in time. You an LGM have an open invite anytime.
When you get back from your trip, let me know and we will find a time.

EDIT: Oops! Just got your reply email, Eric.

Hi Rex. I hope you can use the pics to good effect on your RR.

Thanks for the invite, we're gonna take you up on that soon. Would you mind if Mr May rode along? I'd like for him to see you layout. He'd be impressed!

That's fantastic stuff, you seem to have a knack of being in the right place at the right time Eric, LGM's very lucky

Another great thread, grande man! I would love to have seen the coaling elevator when it was operating. I have never seen one like that before and it might be just the thing for my "end of the line" servicing facility operation. You have given me a great idea here also for the water tank I need at the "other end of the line" in the Hopewell Yards. Thanks!

Brakie, the Walthers water tower is very close indeed. I think they may even have a coal conveyor... The facility would be easily duplicated and prototypical. The coal storage could be scratched from styrene.

Steve, I'm trying to be in the right place at the right time.;) One things for sure, we're having fun checking out railroading's past.

Ray, I hope you'll be able to fit the facility into your plans. If you do, we'll need pics.;)

Back