Somebody forgot to tighten their straps!

ctclibby

Just West of Needles, CA. Cell phone pix, smudges are bugs on the windshield. Pix date 6/2021 @ 2030 with the temp at 106. Went by about a week prior but couldn't get stopped for the pix. Still there on the next loop as you can see.
WingCropped.jpg

Ya always worry and watch the oncoming side. Probably less chance of something happening than getting hit by lightning; but still watch. I was at the Amtrak Station here in Libby at night awhile back as a WB Freight went by. Was dragging about 30ft of chain about the middle of the train. The chain was wrapping and unwrapping itself on the lineside stuff which provided quite a light show from the sparks that were flying. Amazing it didn't pull stuff out by the roots. I was not THAT close to the RoW and I did see it coming, but still. Called dispatch in Ft Worth and told them about it. At first they didn't want to listen but figured out that I was on the up and up as I knew railroad speak. Probably got the train stopped by Kootenai Falls - 12ish miles West. Pretty unpopulated with minimal road crossings and pretty much zero people.

Track inspector called one day, one of those huge log bunks off of a TTX flat car had fallen off. How did that not create a FUBAR?

It must not have been an important stretch of track, if that thing sat on it a whole week and no one did anything about it...

We shouldn't be to quick to blame the railroad.........It may have been flung off one of the turbines around Palm Springs or even Amarillo!

Needles to Amarillo 800ish miles, Needles to Palm Springs 188 miles and over a big hill. These ARE wings but really?

Back