Some Recent DCC Conversions

jwb

After starting the switch to DCC a couple of years ago, I've been working my way through some older models. They involve extra work, but they're good layout models, and I really like the improved headlight options, which are very visible improvements when you get right down to it.

Here are two pre-Walthers P2K GP9s. While these have 8-pin sockets, they're a challenge, because I also had to replace the cracked axle gears and replace the 1.5 v headlight bulbs with 14 v. The upside is that you can now clearly see that the headlight light bars also light up the class lights. Not controllable (you can in fact control the class lights on MTH locos if you do the extra work), but I like seeing them lit.

GN_707.jpg

GN_711.jpg

These turn out to be good little locos. Who knew?

Atlas Classic RS-3. Only the most recent runs of these have 8-pin sockets. This one needed an NCE DA-SR.

GN_221_2.jpg

Atlas-Kato yellowbox GP7, also with NCE DA-SR:

EL_1401.jpg

This model is showing its age -- I'm noticing that the metal frame had a warp on many of these, visible on the left of this loco, but can be at least hidden with rust streaks coming from the battery boxes. No wonder Atlas finally retired the model, good for its time, but an effort to work on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice John! Congratulations on the fleet upgrades. From what i understand you used the 8-pin DCC plugs to add the decoders to the existing lightboards (for the p2k engines)?

That's right. The P2K arrangement is a little weird, where you basically have to unscrew most of the PC board and remove it from the 8-pin socket. Then you also have to disconnect the wires to the 1.5 v bulbs from the 8-pin socket and solder wires for new 14 v bulbs in their place.

Back