Some Metro North action!

MGWSY

Spent some time in Cos Cob, CT on March 8th watching the busy variety on Metro North.

At 10:04am South Bound Acela Train 2155 heads through Cos Cob while in the distance a set of Metro North M2’s heads North to Stamford with a late running 1516, note the train is heading north on the SB track.

026.png

SB Amtrak Regional train 171 at 11:38am passes through Cos Cob.

290.png

At 12:12pm a Metro North work train heads north with cars most likely destined for the washouts on the Danbury Line which was shut down that day.

369.png

Amtrak train 56 the Vermonter heads north at 12:23pm

401.png

A typical set of M2/M6 cars heads north to Stamford with train 1526 a Grand Central to Stamford Express at 12:47pm

469.png

SB Acela train 2167 heads over Cos Cob trestle at 4:05pm

714.png

Running revenue train for around a week already a brand new set of M8 cars heads north over the Cos Cob Trestle with train 1340 at 4:08pm

734.png

Amtrak NB Regional train 176/476 crosses the gap on the lift span of the Cos Cob trestle at 4:11pm, note there is no wire on the lift span and the trains do not lower their pantographs.

750.png

I never realized how dirty the electric trains can get. I guess the wheels kick up most of the dirt on them??

I never realized how dirty the electric trains can get. I guess the wheels kick up most of the dirt on them??

Well, Amtrak operates at 125mph (150MPH for the Acela) and at those speeds, I bet it's fun to do a "drive-by" splash on a Metro North train :D.

Well, Amtrak operates at 125mph (150MPH for the Acela) and at those speeds, I bet it's fun to do a "drive-by" splash on a Metro North train :D.

Most of the running on Metro North tracks between New Haven, CT - New Rochelle, NY is 70-75mph with some streches of 90mph. Thats as fast as amtrak is allowed to go.

Most of the running on Metro North tracks between New Haven, CT - New Rochelle, NY is 70-75mph with some streches of 90mph. Thats as fast as amtrak is allowed to go.

Through that area at least :D Readville/Hyde Park (Boston), MA, Mansfield, and maybe one spot in Rhode Island is where the Acela can go 150, and the NE Regional can do 125. :D

What's the engine in the third picture? It may just be the perspective but it looks like a shortened Geep.

Very interesting shots! I'd be nervous working in the mow crew in a place that busy and confined.

Well the guys working there were installing brackets for platform extensions and they had track 2 shut down and had a watchman down by the curve and one on the platform. When a train came by they would stand in the middle of the Out Of Service track. Tracks are numbered 3,1,2,4 from West to East. I was on the Northbound platform Track 4, The Southbound Platform track is 3, and 2 center Main tracks are 1 & 2.

Back