Some like it hot. (updated)

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
I shot these today on the NS. Had never seen a heated switch before. I gotta get out more often. :D

Sorry for the large pics. I had already uploaded them to the gallery and didn't want to go back and resize them for an attachment.:rolleyes:

Propane fuel
Praco_005.jpg

Burner close up
Praco_006.jpg

Top shot/plumbing
Praco_030.jpg

UP has these on Pengra (Willamette) Pass over the Cascades in Oregon. It's an area that can get mucho snow in the winter - to the delight of the skiers.

Evening Eric. Where were you when you took those photos? Where is Blossberg? Great photos there boss.William.

Hey William. I was in the Cardiff area looking for old coal mines and saw "Jefferson Tunnel" on the GPS. The tunnel no longer exists. It's now a huge cut. Anyway, I ran across the switch on my way to the "tunnel".

Here's another shot I took during my tunnel hunt. ;) I'm not sure what Jessie is, er, ah up to...:eek: So much for my signal shot! :rolleyes:
Praco_027_edited.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I modeled the switch heaters on my Cascade Sub layout by using strips of styrene glued to the side of the rails and painted rust brown. I made propane tanks from styrene rod painted white. I'll skip the heaters next time and just go with the tanks. The heaters were too small to notice.

Bill

B_Kosanda said:
I modeled the switch heaters on my Cascade Sub layout by using strips of styrene glued to the side of the rails and painted rust brown. I made propane tanks from styrene rod painted white. I'll skip the heaters next time and just go with the tanks. The heaters were too small to notice.

Bill

I was thinking of doing the same when I was taking the pics. Seems like a cool detailing idea.

We have a few of the heated turnouts around work on the mainline. I'll have to get some shots this winter when its cold/snowy out..

grande man said:
Hey William. I was in the Cardiff area looking for old coal mines and saw "Jefferson Tunnel" on the GPS. The tunnel no longer exists. It's now a huge cut. Anyway, I ran across the switch on my way to the "tunnel".

Wrong O! I found the tunnel today. :cool:

As an update, the land around this area is on a "sportsman's" lease I just joined. In talking to the fellow that runs the lease, I discovered that the tunnel does exist. It was on a section of track the SRR rerouted. You'll soon see why...

As a side note, the local lore about the tunnel is that it was blocked during one of the labor disputes early in the last century. Apparently, the result was a gun battle with local miners which resulted in some loss of life. I'm still trying to get more details...

West entrance. According to the journals of EL Voyles, the tunnel was "hand carved".
186267719.gif

View from inside looking out the west entrance. Note the alien dog, Dixie.
186267756.gif

Hum, it may have been that the MOW guys percieved a little moisture problem inside the tunnel, thus the rerouted track. :D
186267887.gif

Old road bed west of the tunnel.
186267864.gif

View down the rerouted NS main. I took this pic because the new tie plates awaiting installation would be cool to model.
186267830.gif

leghome said:
eric is that your dog in the second pix? I seen two spots and had totake a 2nd look.

That's a swamp beast, Larry. :D Actually that's Dixie, my furball friend. The camera flash makes critters look pretty weird... Check this one out. If I saw a critter that looked like that in the woods, it'd be time to slap leather and burn powder. :D It looks like she's on the attack (and the only thing Dixie would attack is a pan of Alpo). There's a reason to take many more pics that you think you'll need. ;)

186373894.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Really neat tunnel and pics Eric. Tunnels can be a weird place , we have one near here that They call DEVIL'S Hole . Legend has it taht the Indians would take the local settlers thereand slaughter them. Their ghosts stiil haunt the cave. Will have to get over and post some pics of it for you all. Keep up the nice history lessons OLDGETTSYK

OldGettysk said:
Really neat tunnel and pics Eric. Tunnels can be a weird place , we have one near here that They call DEVIL'S Hole . Legend has it taht the Indians would take the local settlers thereand slaughter them. Their ghosts stiil haunt the cave. Will have to get over and post some pics of it for you all. Keep up the nice history lessons OLDGETTSYK

Hi Paul. That'd be awesome. I'd love to see the pics and read more about devil's hole. Sounds like an interesting place. :cool:

grande man said:
That's a swamp beast, Larry. :D Actually that's Dixie, my furball friend. The camera flash makes critters look pretty weird... Check this one out. If I saw a critter that looked like that in the woods, it'd be time to slap leather and burn powder. :D It looks like she's on the attack (and the only thing Dixie would attack is a pan of Alpo). There's a reason to take many more pics that you think you'll need. ;)

186373894.gif
I was gonna say she was trying to Hypnotize us or something:eek: Thanks for the photos!

Back