Solving the problem of drivers who refuse to stop at a rail crossing

I grew up in East L.A. literally living on a corner, next to the A.T.S.F. mainline on the "avenues" for 14 years. There were lights and bells for 11 city block on this urban section of track. I saw the remains of at least a dozen men (not kids) who were hit, and an unknown number of teens in a sedan that "raced" the train and lost. Truly hidious stuff. An F7 at 40 MPH is amazingly deadly. No crossarms or any other obsticles.

Also, the last year I lived there, my mother got her licence (she was over 40!) and bought a car, it was parked in front of our house. A drunk hit the roadbed at fifty or more, caught air and his 56 chevrolet landed literally on top of my mom's brand new ten day old 1963 Ford Fairlane 2 door. Not a train accident but funny to this young kid as I lifted the drunk out of his car with a broken arm. I didn't see it, but I heard it while we watched Soupy Sales on TV before dinner.

Wonder where it is.
t's amazing that people still try to run the gates even with a cop there.
It also looks like the barricade is raised by the cop.

This is in northern or eastern Europe judging by the badly deteriorated concrete on the medians. I don't believe these lifting barriers are intended to make crossings safer so much as to keep train crews and their trains safe and unimpeded by vodka-guzzling motorists or motorists who have waited once too long for gates that lowered and then nothing happened...dunno. Whatever it is, seatbelts are lifesavers...wear yours!! You'll need them and airbags with the barriers.

Gates coming down with no train was a problem in my area during the 70's.
Kids learned that all you have to do is string a piece of wire across the tracks and it triggers the circuit. Just pick a spot a couple hundred yards from the crossing. I don't know if it also messes with the signaling system to show the block occupied.

I had that for two months one summer kids hooked the wire under some rail anchors and buried the wire over to a garage then they would short out the tracks to make the gates come down and yes it did show a block occupied and we had a couple of trains go into emergency stops with a red signal in their face They would undo the wires when they saw me show up so I finally went there in my own vehicle and parked (got the cops called on me by a nosy neighbor) I finally saw them go into the garage and within seconds the gates came down caught the red handed Police came they were only 10 yr olds so they turned them over to parents from what I could hear I dont think they would ever do it again ---- never had any more trouble

My dad being an engineer, has hit a few cars in his career. With a few going to court, never winning. Something about going around a barrier.

Tim

I've been at crossings working and watched people drive around the gates because they saw us and I think they thought we were doing something DUMB
Was on my way home one time on highway and woman in front of me drove right thru the gate about 50 feet in front of a train going at least 45 mph when the train cleared she was setting there I asked her if she was ok and she said she was and she saw the train but not the crossing gate didnt know why she didnt stop she said something about giving up driveing

Back