Solvent based washes over Acrylics?

GM Train - I had similar results to those in your photo. I simply applied a second coat and made sure the solution was not minimized by spreading it too thin. Worked well. And depending on the solution percentage, a little dirty film on the framing is normal. If it were too heavy, I dry brushed some frame color.

What were you using to thin the paint?

Thanks for the reply!

I use PollyScale and my first attempt was 99% isopropyl in a 10 - 1 ratio but the paint coagulated. Threw that out and remixed with filtered water at 70 - 30. No problem. I usually spray at 90 - 10 but wanted more pigment to make the process quicker.

Any paint that is thinned with mineral spirits (like Model Master enamel or artists' oil paint) can be used in a wash technique over dry acrylics (Polly Scale or ModelFlex) or Dullcoat with no problem. I usually let the acrylic base coat dry overnight just to be on the safe side. Avoid stronger solvents like lacquer thinner or concentrated isopropyl. If you weather with an airbrush, any kind of paint is OK as long as it goes on almost dry.

Again thanks for the responses!

I have no problem at all with airbrush weathering, it's just been with washes. My flat finish of choice is usually Model Master Acrylic, although sometimes I'll use Pollyscale Flat. I've always waited at least a day or two to start the weathering process.

I am encouraged at Fishplate's success with enamels/oils, and intend to give that a try very soon...

Back