Solder

Yes! however a good mechanical joint is preferable with the soldering to hold it in place. Solder (tin and lead) will conduct but is not the best of conductors.

13.gif
Willis

The best way to know for sure, is to check the label. That should say what its intended use is. If you get it at Radio Shack, it's probably electrical; OTOH, if it's from the plumbing section at a hardware store, it's for welding pipes and NOT recommended for electrical use.

good advice Ken

when I was a youngin or er um green I made that mistake...buy your solder from a electronic store or Radio Shack only....

Also there are many different techniques on soldering joints. So it would be good to discuss this topic here on this forum.

This is what I do...bear in mind it what I do right or wrong it works for me...

All of my joints have a gap that I set with my "feeler gauge" like the one you use for setting spark plug gaps...

I solder the joiner clips at the base on the out side othe rail and then I run a jumper wire of nickel for RS from rail to rail on the out side of the rail.

I do grind or polish the solder for smooth finish but after soldering as many joints as I have and you will too get to that point. You tend to get good at it with practice and there for reduces that part of work to a minimal.

good luck!

Back