So, who's re-motored a steamer? Was it worth it.

SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
That's supposed to be re-motored. I hate that you can't edit your title.

I have a MDC Climax A that looks great and runs like an MDC Climax A.

I have 2 MDC 0-6-0 tanker kits that I plan on bashing into 2-6-2 tankers. They have open pole motors and will be the main motive power for my upcoming California Western layout.

Now as near as I can figure, it will cost me $70+ for the parts per engine/regearing.

Is it going to be worth it. Can I expect a class A running engine?

Last edited by a moderator:
SpaceMouse said:
I have a MDC Climax A that looks great and runs like an MDC Climax A.

Not being familiar with the MDC Climaxes (I work with the Climax brand of Climaxes :)) does "runs like an MDC Climax A" mean it runs poorly? If so, what does it do?

BTW, here's a nice shot for you Climax fans...

MTH made a very nice model of this a few years ago. The sounds you hear on the digital chip are real, they spent all day recording them. In fact, I've been told you can hear my voice on the sounds.

(Not having about $1,000 to spare for one of the models, I wouldn't know for certain...)

modelbob said:
Not being familiar with the MDC Climaxes (I work with the Climax brand of Climaxes :)) does "runs like an MDC Climax A" mean it runs poorly? If so, what does it do?

It is geared really high and whines like my daughter when she has to rake the yard. At 50% throttle it creeps along slower than my S1 swtcher. Half the time it needs a push start. Lubrication and filing It is a pretty cheap kit to start with.

climax01.gif

The 0-6-0's I haven't built yet, but they have open motors and like I said, the 2-6-2 was the main motive power of the CW in 1917, the year I'm modeling.

Chip--the MDC Climax has the same motor/gear configuration as their Shay and their Ingersoll-Rand diesel. In other words, it's noisy and it generally sucks. I think a good NWSL Can would do the trick on the Climax--the 0-6-0's are a different story--I've got one with an open frame motor and the reduction gear, and it's a good little runner. A little noisy, but with some run-in time, you might not have to worry about replacing the motor. The MDC 0-6-0 isn't nearly as detailed as the Proto 2000 model of the same arrangement, but it will outpull the Proto by about three times. And the reduction gear means you can let the little devil just crawl around the layout. Problem with putting a can in the 0-6-0 firebox is there's not a lot of room unless you grind out the inside, and doing that, you lose needed weight for traction. My open frame works just fine, if as I said, you don't mind a little noise.
Tom

Chip--the Proto 0-6-0 is a USRA design that was produced by all three of the major locomotive builders (Baldwin, ALCO, Lima), so in effect, you can call it whatever you want. But do you REALLY want a locomotive with such poor pulling power that it can only haul its tender and maybe two cars? Especially if you've got a layout with grades? The Proto steamers are really handsome, but they really suck when it's time to put a train of any decent length behind them.
Tom

TWhite said:
Chip--the Proto 0-6-0 is a USRA design that was produced by all three of the major locomotive builders (Baldwin, ALCO, Lima), so in effect, you can call it whatever you want. But do you REALLY want a locomotive with such poor pulling power that it can only haul its tender and maybe two cars? Especially if you've got a layout with grades? The Proto steamers are really handsome, but they really suck when it's time to put a train of any decent length behind them.
Tom

.....Uh, no.

Chip;
I have two MDC shays that were kits,I re-did the pickups,and cramed athearn motors W/fly wheels in them,this reduced the noise,and boy do they run nice,the open frame motor went in the trash.I took the motors out of a couple of athearn SW-7's,took the dreamel and cut one flywheel of the back side of the motor,(they are can motors with two flywheels)your MDC climax probley has the same system in it,the motor coupler will fit the can motor,at least mine did,look it over,maybe you have an old athearn loco laying around,check it out you have nothing to lose.
JIM

Back