So it wasn't the most exciting afternoon...

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Hi all. I thought I'd post a few pics from today's railfan trip strictly for entertainment value. I was sitting around the house thinking about writing a train schedule for the layout (using a real schedule the Colo RR museum). It dawned on me that I could work on that beside the CSX. ;) Folks from work have been calling all afternoon, seems an airplane broke. :rolleyes: So much for the vacation time... Anyway, getting out seemed like the thing to do. :)

First, today's company (LGM is at the grandfolks house).
Ya'll may recognize Jessie from a post some time back. He's a veteran Lab railfanning pooch. The new mutt (little one) is Dixie. She's my little girl's new puppy. This is one of her first "big dog" trips. LGM and I call her the "swamp skunk" because he was concerned for her safety during hunting season (personally, our own hides are further up the list for me :D ), to which I replied "yeah, someone might mistake her for a swamp skunk and get a round off at her." She's fun to watch around the lab. For the most part, she does exactly what he does. If he barks, runs, takes a leak, etc, so does she. :D
123722271.gif

Approach lit block signal. Could something be coming out of the south?
123722273.gif

Yep, a northbound empty coal drag. ;) The engineer was nice enough to give me a couple of short blasts of the horn as the train approached.
123722276.gif

So much for the only train I saw today... (I got there kinda late :eek: )
123722275.gif

Oh yeah, I did manage to get a little work done on the train schedule. ;)

Not at all, the shots of the dogs was what made the post ;)

She's cute, bet she runs Jessie ragged, with her still being a pup and all.

dthurman said:
She's cute, bet she runs Jessie ragged, with her still being a pup and all.

I think harrassment would be a better term. Sometimes I feel sorry for the Jester. :D It is constant. :D

Your pics brought to mind some very good memories. I had a little female who was the twin to your Dixie, right down to the flopped over ears and white blaze on her chest. Her name was Princess and she was a little sweetie. When she had to be put down, we were at the Humane Society within a half hour getting a new puppy. Who was named "Dixie" on the way home. Thanks for your post.
Tom

That's cool, Tom. I'm glad you remembered something enjoyable.

As for this Dixie, she is an outside dog with GREAT lapdog potential. :D She had a fun trip today.

I have always had a great attraction to dogs, my mom used to raise and breed german shepards. My railfan/train room guard is Cruise, he's part Chow and who knows what, Collie I think, he is always within 10 feet of me when I am at home, I get up, he gets up, I sit down, he sits down, extremely protective of me, a little to much at times.

67.jpg

The only draw back is when I sweep the floor, I swear I can make another dog, or he should be bald :)

SEE Eric, you do have a good post. Many of us enjoy it.;) What do your buddies do when a train comes by? Do they just look or bark or wave at the Engineer:D ?

If they have any hunting instinct, I would think they run down that train to wear it down?

RexHea said:
SEE Eric, you do have a good post. Many of us enjoy it.;) What do your buddies do when a train comes by? Do they just look or bark or wave at the Engineer:D ?

When I see the signal light up, I load them into the truck. Dixie didn't quite know what to think about the train. Jester just sits there. He's seen a million trains.

Interestingly, this train was moving pretty good, and there's a section of repaired track there with the old style rail-web bolt on plates holding the rail together. It makes for some great old time clickety-clack as the train goes by. That's one of the finer things in life I miss in modern railroading with welded rail. It also provided some extra noise to get Dixie broken in as a railfanning pooch.

Cruise is pretty good, except for the horn, he get's a little wound up with sirens, fireworks and extremely loud noises.

Come to Peoria Eric, you can get all the clickety-clack you want :) TZPR is a terminal RR and they still have sectional as well as the TP&W are still holding out on welded.

Eric: You should train Jester to watch the signal for you and make a point when it changes, then Dixie can give off two short howls as a signal to get you ready.:D

David: I sure understand about the loud noises. Rusty, my Golden Retriever, goes bonkers with thunder and firecrackers. He's had it rough this weekend with all the bangs and booms. Moe, our miniature poodle could care less.

Last edited by a moderator:
RexHea said:
Eric: You should train Jester to watch the signal for you and make a point when it changes, then Dixie can give off two short howls as a signal to get you ready.:D

David: I sure understand about the loud noises. Rusty, my Golden Retriever, goes bonkers with thunder and firecrackers. He's had it rough this weekend with all the bangs and booms. Moe, our miniature poodle could care less.

We lost a dog we were all crazy about one New Years Eve years ago. After all the kids left home, my Mom used to keep her for us. She got out somehow and got so spooked at the fireworks that we never saw her again.:( The female lab we lost last summer (Swamp Pig, not to be confused with the Swamp Skunk), would run around the yard and bark at thunder. It was fun to watch because she really went into the attack mode. :D

We're a block from our local volunteer fire dept, so when the siren goes off, Cruise will start howling. If he is in lazy mood, and laying on the floor, he will howl while laying down :)

It is a little annoying when it's 3 AM and the siren goes off, he as yet doesn't tell time.

Grande Man,from the looks of things,the day wasn't a total loss, after all,you did catch one train,and got some really nice photos,and the dogs are really neat.Too bad there wasn't much traffic,but one is better than none.:cool: William.

What do ya know Grande Man we both have two dogs. Only one problem, one is afraid of the camera ;). So here is my white German Shepard named Blizzard posing infront of the family Christmas tree! Click on the pic to make it bigger.

Ain't he the cutest:p!

Hello Eric,

I can't hold back on this thread any longer. This is a GREAT post. It shows the many sides of what a great model railroader can be!! Yes, we do have other interests!! Isn't that what makes it all so worthwhile?!

Now for Dixie, I'm in love! She may be 'naughty' but that's what is so cool about a dog's spirit. Never want to break that. They are magnificent companions. Love the Lab too, she looks like she only takes 'so much':D from Dixie.

Now to share,
1) This is George, He was rescued by us(as were ALL of our animals) and even though he's a big guy, plays ever so gentle with the other ruffians:cool: .
View attachment 2582

2) Clockwise from top;
a) Mika, aka "Flash",-World's slowest dog. Might have A.D.D.:eek:

b) Chessie(yes:rolleyes: ) - Instigator, actually NOT a dog but has the others believing she is. Poses in all dog photos to throw off suspicion.

c) Mollie, Dachshund. Wiener dog. She is a sweetheart, tons of expression in this girls face. Spends ALL DAY on back of sofa 'patrolling' the neighbors.

d) Montana, Mini-Dachshund, Cocktail-weinerdog. This is the enforcer. He has had it with just about everything! And he is not affraid to tell you about it. While typing this out he is standing in the kitchen giving me the the dickens because I'm not paying attention to him.

View attachment 2583

Not pictured: C.J., (casey Jones) 27 lb. :eek: 'Maine Coon' cat. Plain evil. Stalks everyone. Any wonder why she's "Daddies Girl"?;)

So there you have it, our 'kids'. We have a four bedroom home and the animals have their own bedroom. Yep, spoiled rotten:D . We wouldn't have it any other way! Thanks Eric, for bringing out the "beasts" in us. With a group like this I was SURE we had animal lovers here!:cool: !

Johnny

Nice looking children, Johnny.
I guess that I will show off my buddies again. Rusty is the Golden Retriever and loves children. He is probably the most gentle and smartest dog I have ever had. You probably have seen him in a bean commericial:rolleyes: . Moe is the miniature poodle and is always getting into some kind of mischief, bullying Rusty, chasing away our cat Tosha. Should of named them "Mutt and Jeff"

The first picture is of Rusty and me and his second picture is him getting lots of love from my niece and her daughter.

The picture of Moe is him dragging his present out from under the Christmas tree and opening it. All we did was point the present out...he did the rest.

Not pictured is Tosha. She's out...ugh...cat'in around.

Back