Snow recommendations?

Sir Robbins

Looking to add a fair amount of snow on my modular build. Some parts will be patches to reflect snow melted and other will have a full coverage..

Any experience with Woodland Scenic Snow? That's what I'm looking to use.. I don't want to go the paste route. I had odd results a few years back when I used it and it looked almost plastic like when finished.

I used the WS 'Snow" in the shaker bottle on my second layout and on the one I'm building currently.

index.php

Jerome, only this past year have I sprayed snow to fix it in place. I now have a larger layout with 'four seasons', so one corner is permanently in winter.

In the scene above with the Pennsy K4s emerging from the tunnel, I just sprinkled enough of the WS snow to make it look.....ummm.....chilly. :p

The tree is a sagebrush armature I harvested in the Thompson River valley near Ashcroft, British Columbia, where we were visiting my mom-in-law, I think back in 2007. I left the snow in place for a few weeks, and then vacuumed it up. If done in a clean receptacle on the vacuum, it can be re-used for a base cover, and then over-sprinkled lightly with new stuff to make it look pristine.

Jerome, only this past year have I sprayed snow to fix it in place. I now have a larger layout with 'four seasons', so one corner is permanently in winter.

In the scene above with the Pennsy K4s emerging from the tunnel, I just sprinkled enough of the WS snow to make it look.....ummm.....chilly. :p

The tree is a sagebrush armature I harvested in the Thompson River valley near Ashcroft, British Columbia, where we were visiting my mom-in-law, I think back in 2007. I left the snow in place for a few weeks, and then vacuumed it up. If done in a clean receptacle on the vacuum, it can be re-used for a base cover, and then over-sprinkled lightly with new stuff to make it look pristine.
Crandell, what do you use to hold it down?

I sprayed it with scenic cement, the WS stuff. In retrospect, I ought to have diluted some glossy Mod Podge or other 'gloss acrylic medium.' The WS scenic fixative has talc in it (it must be stirred and shaken often before and during use for that reason) so that it doesn't impart a shine to the surfaces on which it is applied. Wrong choice in my case.

Back