Sn3

Would that be a question asked by a CONVICTED SERIAL KIDDER?

I started thinking I should at least build a freight car kit in Sn3. Wow, when I priced them out I was amazed at how expensive they where! Then to top it off it appears that the trucks where going to cost another $30.00

NP2626: The cost alone of Sn3 trucks may indicate that Sn3 modelers have more $$$ to spend than us HO and N scalers.

Greg

I finally went to PBL and ordered an RGS Sn3 Stock car for $42.00. $42.00 is far better than the close to $90.00 I found for laser cut wood kit which included $29.00 for a pair of Sn3 brass trucks! I have been thinking for quite a long time that I want to have an Sn3 car to look at and compare with my HO stuff. So, I'm scratching the surface of Sn3. I really don't see this going anywhere other than just doing this out of my own curiosity.

The PBL car will look better than any HO or other scale car available.

Really fantastic kits.

Harold

I finally went to PBL and ordered an RGS Sn3 Stock car for $42.00. $42.00 is far better than the close to $90.00 I found for laser cut wood kit which included $29.00 for a pair of Sn3 brass trucks! I have been thinking for quite a long time that I want to have an Sn3 car to look at and compare with my HO stuff. So, I'm scratching the surface of Sn3. I really don't see this going anywhere other than just doing this out of my own curiosity.

Look forward to watching it come together.

The kit arrived over the weekend. I have taken a couple of photos; but, need to learn how to reduce there size so i can post them.

The kit arrived over the weekend. I have taken a couple of photos; but, need to learn how to reduce there size so i can post them.

Mark ... see my post on the contest thread!
That is the easiest program that I have ever loaded onto a computer. When you right click a thumbnail, and select "resize" - it takes a couple seconds for the dialog box to load - then select the size - and done. You will love it!

NOTE -- The resized program does not affect your original photo at all -- It simply makes a copy of your photo and gives it the same name adding small, medium, or large to the name. rlundy90 said that he uses "large". I have not tried the small or medium!

I have been working on this kit. I'm surprised by the fact that it is a very complicated kit! I had sort of thought the S scale being a larger scale than HO, there would be less tiny parts. I was totally wrong on this point, there are far more tiny parts than even the most detailed HO Kit has. P-B-L goes the extra distance to bring its' customers very detailed kits. I do find the instructions to be somewhat difficult to follow. This might be a problem of my own as I have difficulty reading very detailed instructions. The only molded on detail is the retainer valve on one of the ends. The sides ends and roof as well as floor and under frame are all separate parts and there is complete brake detail. I would guess the process would go quicker if I were to build more of these cars; however, at this time I could not imagine building a fleet of them! The $25.45 cost difference between Ready to Operate and kits is understandable: $34.50 for kit and $59.95 for RTO. The kits are very complete, metal wheels and couplers.

I know, I need to show some photos.

The guy who wrote the instructions apologized for their being confusing. He said he felt that the builder (me) would be the type who wants to "get on with it", so that's the reason the instructions skip around a bunch, giving another project while the glue is drying! I think he (and therefore, me) would have been better off writing the instructions clearly and concisely and letting the builder decide what he wants to jump too, if he/she wants to!

Many of the drawings (Plates as he calls them) lack detail. The orientation of the under frame was unclear as to which end is the "B" end, so naturally I glued this assembly up backwards!! Some frustration; but, overall I am enjoying the process. Did have fun making up a chunk of Sn3 track for test rolling the trucks.

Back