Smokebox size of Bachmann 2-6-6-2

GN.2-6-8-0

Has anyone opened and or measured the opening of the smokbox front of Bachmanns 2-6-6-2 ?
I'm hoping to replace the C&O style front with the flying compound pumps and oval smokebox door with a 86" Harriman style smokebox front from Cal-scale to give it a more SOUTHERN PACIFIC look if it'll fit.

SP_3930b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have one to measure but I think it should fit with some fiddling. The N&W and SP engines were basically identical except for things like pump locations and firebox doors.

Well' jumped off the fence the other day and decided to try for the conversion of this engine from C&O to a close facsimalie of a SP MM3 class 2-6-6-2 ,mind you it was with a great deal of trepidation that i picked up my razor saw after determing the Cary 108" boiler front should fit....Bachmann in their infinate wisdom had glued the smokebox front to the boiler, on a brand new sound equipped locomotive:D Ever so carefully i proceeded to cut the smokebox cover on the fine joint between the cover and boiler without damaging to rivet detail whew!
Turned out the Cary boiler front part no.SB 105 which is a 108" diameter was a perfect fit though the bottom had to be ground down a bit to clear the steam delivery pipe that runs beneath it :D
After priming and painting it inculding the round number plate a few drops of medium Zap a Gap fixed it in place.
Also was able to reuse the nicely detailed cross compound air compressors triming and gluing them together and placing them in the appropiate place on the firemans side of the boiler.
All I have left to do is add the walkway section over the top of the pumps and number boards which i removed to be moved back along the stack rather than the C&O placement before the stack.also will replace the classification lilights with brass castings and clear jewel's
SO' While not a exact replica of the engine I'm very much satisfied with the results.

Below are before and after photos and the prototype.
001.jpg

008.jpg

SP_3930b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad the Cary smokebox door was a good fit. Looks like you did an outstanding job getting the original off and replacing it with the Cary version. Looks like the headlight placement, walkway, and handrails were already correct for the SP version too, so that reduces the amount of kitbashing a bit. You'll probably hate this idea, but shaving that side walkway off the tender would give it an even better SP look.

Bachmann makes the 6 wheel Hickens tender that the prototype had tied to it drawbar the trick is how much effort would be involved in swapping out the sound decoder,or just go for a fullblown Tsunami in place of the bachmann's hybride Tsunami decoder.

89911.jpg

Back