SMD LED's and Resistors...

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
With some in trepidation I finally worked up the nerve to try out my new ISO-TIP Battery Operated Soldering Iron, with pointy nose (conical) tip, on one of my 550 mcd SMD LED's and a 1K SMD resistor. I also used 26 Gauge Stranded Wire and .020 37/63 No Clean Solder.

So, this is the end result with resistor attached and how I managed to "control things" while I did the soldering:

JlIEsGM.jpg

QbwRG4y.jpg

LED without lights:

oQ5gs73.jpg

With some light:

lok9KRl.jpg

Used a 550 mcd Cool White LED connected to a 1K resistor. I might try another with a 2K resistor and see what effect that has and then a 3K resistor. That being said, this LED is no where are bright as the initial 1200 mcd LED's I bought.

Tony,

This is going to be an almost useless post, but.....

I bought a package of {here's where it gets useless} blue stuff that is used to hold components in place while soldering. It works great. The problem is, I don't remember what its called or where I got it. I tried a couple of different searches "blue stuff for soldering, sticky stuff for soldering" but didn't find the (no pun intended) right stuff.

Tony,

This is going to be an almost useless post, but.....

I bought a package of {here's where it gets useless} blue stuff that is used to hold components in place while soldering. It works great. The problem is, I don't remember what its called or where I got it. I tried a couple of different searches "blue stuff for soldering, sticky stuff for soldering" but didn't find the (no pun intended) right stuff.
Not useless at all Kevin ... any ideas put forward are all GOOD - even if precise details aren't all there :)

Maybe Blue Tack or Play Doh or similar would work considering all it has to do is "hold" the LED and Resistor in place while being soldered. Only thing I could think of that might make it un-usable for that purpose is something in it that might not react too well to heat.

Finally remembered! The stuff I got is called "Blu-Tack Reuseable Adhesive". It is also known as poster tack. I'm (admittedly) pretty good at soldering, so I've never had any heat problems with it. It's recommended on a lot of electronics and "maker" sites, so it should be fairly tolerant.

Finally remembered! The stuff I got is called "Blu-Tack Reuseable Adhesive". It is also known as poster tack. I'm (admittedly) pretty good at soldering, so I've never had any heat problems with it. It's recommended on a lot of electronics and "maker" sites, so it should be fairly tolerant.
I think when it first came out it was called fun tack. Been around for a while. I never thought to use it to hold stuff while soldering. Great idea.

As an aside comment, I note the Californian Cancer warning. I often think that when a baby is born it should be stamped with a similar notice. "Caution! Life, it may be dangerous to your health and wellbeing".

Isnt that the truth......Hardly any product now days doesn't have some sort of warning label!

As an aside comment, I note the Californian Cancer warning. I often think that when a baby is born it should be stamped with a similar notice. "Caution! Life, it may be dangerous to your health and wellbeing".

One of my favorite quips: What's the leading cause of death? Life.

Back