Small layout future upgrade

Dominick

Well I'm getting back into the hobby.
My wife and I just bought a house and have an extra room (for the time being)
it's about 12' by 11' I am thinking of a decent size layout just to keep
me occupied But in a few years I will be building a room onto the house just for the model RR new room will be 12' wide by 35' deep one door nice big U shaped layout :D guess my question is how would I go about inter grading this new layout but utilizing the old?

thanks,
Dom

I'd say design the layout now, to the 12' width of the future room, with the option to extend later. Then when you get the big room, the current layout can be moved into the end of the new room, and added on to.

I guess my first question is: will the new room be built onto the existing room, i.e. the common wall would be removed? If so, then I agree with Josh. In fact, I would design the entire layout and then concentrate the construction in the area you have now. (Note: make sure you don't crowd the wall that will be removed or you will have problems removing the wall materials.)

If the new addition will be somewhere else, then you will have to take into account the moving of the layout to fit door sizes and get around corners. You can do this easily by building it in modular form built to size and that has connecting sections secured by door hinges. Just remove the pins, disconnect wires, track, and move it ...same way clubs do when they take their layouts to shows. Again, design this area for the transition to the future layout.;) :)

Back