small Kato Unitrack layout idea

JeffH

Here is my attempt at an N scale layout that will be rural mountains and a river going into a reservoir. I'm not planning to have any buildings at this time.

It took me a while to learn how to use Anyrail software, but here it is. Please critique. Is this too complex for the size of the layout?

The dark blue section is at 4 inches in height. The Orange is 2 inches, and the light blue is ground level. Green sections are inclines/declines.

Hopefully, this is enough for you experts to see the design clearly. It is one long section

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Kato 7_2D.jpg

Kato 7_3D1.jpg

Kato 7_3D2.jpg

Kato 7_3D3.jpg

Is it complex? Yes. Too complex? Not for what it appears to be intended for which is just running trains for display and enjoyment. You could easily have two or three different trains running at the same time, all in the same direction (track wise) of course. Nothing complex like reverse loops or crossovers. Perfect for a Christmas tree type layout.

Does anyone use HO Kato Unitrack? I would like to know how it is. I will be starting a HO 4x8 layout. I started buying Kato track to use for my layout. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

For a nice Kato Unitrack RR based on a 4x8, you might look at the "Black River Junction" plan in Model Railroader.
It also uses a removable "L-shaped" extension on one end.

Well, my existing layout is pretty well completed, except for the river that separates the 2 main land areas. If I use any ofl the Kato track I just bough at auction, I will likely end up with a second layout... and may end up with something spaghetti-like as I had concocted above... I really liked the layout above, but quickly realized it was just too much track crammed into the space...

Or, I may just sell off the track... not sure yet.

Lots of possibilities, for sure!

Jeff: The new Model Railroader (August 22), features a plan for a small N scale layout using Atlas code 55 sectional track, and a 36" wide hollow core door. You can follow the techniques used, with your Kato sectional track and your own design and benchwork. Worth a look.

I don' see any faults with your plan, it's what you want to do, after all. I'm more in to switching, so I follow a different path. Perhaps a little less spaghetti.

Does anyone use HO Kato Unitrack? I would like to know how it is. I will be starting a HO 4x8 layout. I started buying Kato track to use for my layout. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
I have, it works very well, the only flaw is the rigid casting of the switches. That was two layouts ago, and covered a 5'x12' Island, and a12' shelf, with a wye. I used only #6 switches, both powered and manual. #4 are two sharp a diversion. I saved most of my Kato track, and it's quite possible that my next layout will use Kato HO.

Back