Slugs & Bugs (B-units)

Just finished up my 1st Slug today. Little weird & it's a dummy. Built from the smashed AC4400 shell & Frame & something else. had to fix the broke frame & shorten it about an inch & a quarter.

Last edited by a moderator:
here is a 90% finished dd40b and a u50
trains009.png

Looks good Larry...

now here's my question: is it a slug or just a B-unit? looks like it still has a prime mover with the exhaust, fans, and access doors still intact...

Looks good Larry...

now here's my question: is it a slug or just a B-unit? looks like it still has a prime mover with the exhaust, fans, and access doors still intact...

It's whatever you want it to be. It could be a slug or a bug in a rug. I haven't ever thought of making something like this until I saw them here on the forum. I've got another one on the bench that I've been working on for about a week. This one will be powered.

Just finished up my 1st Slug today. Little weird & it's a dummy. Built from the smashed AC4400 shell & Frame & something else. had to fix the broke frame & shorten it about an inch & a quarter.

Real interesting work Larry!

OK, added etched steps this week and replaced an MU hose set I broke off. The headlight casting is up at Mark's place to see if it's possible to install LED's in it.

101_0433.jpg

Hello all, I know thins thread has been dead for a while, but I'm new here. New user and first time poster. I have always been fascinated with B-units and slugs.

Here are a few projects I inherited from my fathers passing, that need finishing after I learn the tricks and skills of painting and kit-bashing, in-which I have yet to try at all.

IMG_5720.jpg

IMG_5723.jpg

This is short, only about a half inch longer than a SW1500, but he designed it to set on SD7/9 trucks.

IMG_5725.jpg

IMG_5726.jpg

Two cut down I THINK U25B cowls grafted together

IMG_5724.jpg

This has been sitting on the table for as long as I can remember, never finished. And I am 31, now...

And some additional finished products...

IMG_5729.jpg

IMG_5730.jpg

A couple examples of EARLY Athearn wide body GPs both fully detailed, the pair with a B.

IMG_5628-1.jpg

IMG_5631-1.jpg

My cousin built and painted the B30-7A1 from a RP kit. and that is a non-proto (but close enough to look good) rendition of BNFT2 heavily weighted down to run between engines. The same cousin also modified this GP40-2, with Canon high nose, and blocked off the windows to make it a B.
IMG_5731.jpg

It is painted in my own freelance road, but now that my dad has passed, I think am going to put it on the back burner, and continue with my dad's freelance road, the Peoria Terminal.

P.S. please disregard the horrible disrepair of the bench work. Nothing has been ran on the layout in 15+ years, and turned into a giant "catch-all." I have spent the last week cleaning and replacing some track sections, and building a new lift-out bridge to make a complete loop again.

Hey old threads never die, they just sort of go into a coma. :rolleyes:
Nice stuff, especially the BN units!
(I'm a wee bit biased there)
Can't remember if I posted this in this thread, a CNR slug that has been on the bench for around ten years...

Nice stuff, especially the BN units!
(I'm a wee bit biased there)

My dad was a huge BN fan! So I will start getting pictures of his stuff, and mine, and get a photo album going. You might enjoy all the custom painted and weathered stuff he built and bought over the years!

@Riverrat, good stuff you have there. I like the color of your dads freelanced road. Reminds me of army green. Keep us posted on the unfinished projects.

@Riverrat, good stuff you have there. I like the color of your dads freelanced road. Reminds me of army green. Keep us posted on the unfinished projects.

Thanks! He had the flat green for yard-ish power, and did like a tuscan/box car brown for road power. I might try to adopt some sort of striping, or something into it.

**edited- as a matter of fact, the red, unlettered caboose back there is the red he used for the road power.**

And will do, on the unfinished stuff, but it will be a while... I dont have a paintbooth, airbrush, or anything. let alone experience :) and I will have to get some new decals made up, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would look good with a white stripe coming down off the nose and along the bottom by the walkway. Though I think I just made up my mind as to the color for my road...lol.

Good luck to ya and keep us updated on your progress.

Back