Slugs & Bugs (B-units)

Nope, nothing yet. Its delayed due to the high cost of the PDT trucks. I keep watching eBay for Brass ones, because $200 for a brass one is almost the same as $180 to scratch a plastic one!

Here is a BN B30-7 also known as a B30-7A1(B) or to most of the BN crews a 'slug'. It is not a really a slug because it has its own power plant and doesn't get power from another locomotive (what do those guys know anyway, as long as it runs and the checks don't bounce).
The model is RailPower shell with high short hood, utility cab, dynamic brake box and sideframes from Smokey Valley. The chassis and motor are from Athearn and DCC is Digitrax.

4106-0709230.jpg

Great looking B unit Paul! There don't seem to be any of those East of the Mississippi, the last ones I can remember were the long-gone Pennsy GP9 B units.

I guess I have what could be considered the exact opposite of the BN unit, a road slug. It has a cab with controls, lights and a horn - but no prime mover! It is semi-permanently mated to a GP40-2. These things are all over the place on CSX.

Road_Slug_2206_and_mate6468.jpg

My model is kitbashed from a Kato GP35. The only aftermarket parts are some Evergreen .010"-thick sheet styrene to cover the holes where the radiator fans and grilles were formerly located, and some Tichy grabirons. Still need to add ditch lights though...

Here's a link to a prototype photo: http://www.trainweb.org/csxphotos/photos/RDMT/2206CSX-bc.jpg

The slug model is powered while the Athearn GP40-2 is a dummy unit. Since the two are essentially a single 8-axle loco, I ran a set of wires from the 'backup' light outputs on the slug's decoder to a YelloGlo LED headlight in the GP40-2, so I can run the consist with either unit forward. [Of course I always have to key-in '2206' on the throttle.]

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I have what could be considered the exact opposite of the BN unit, a road slug. It has a cab with controls, lights and a horn - but no prime mover! It is semi-permanently mated to a GP40-2. These things are all over the place on CSX.
Road_Slug_2206_and_mate6468.jpg

That's a great looking set Ken!

You're right, the CSX has plenty of road slugs. :cool: Recently, these guys have been leading a local work train. It printed one of these in 12x18 today. It turned out great. :cool:
1410152681_672faf1b0a_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Eric, that's one of the best - actually the best - shot I've ever seen of one of those. The surrounding darkness makes it look like a spectral image of its past existence as C&O #3573.

Alco, that (2296) is definitely a road slug. They used both GP30's and GP35's as base bodies.

I have a few more "Slugs and Bugs" to post this afternoon. Included are...

- SW10B - BN prototype in undecorated paint
- SD9B - Athearn with a GP9B conversion cab
- GP9 A-B-A lashup. All detailed, and ready to be taken out of orange paint
- Kitbashed SW1200 and calf, soon to get Remote Control units and antennas and a fresh coat of paint, but otherwise complete

Also, some 'new' vintage GE power that has finally made it's way to the WCTR. Although now B or slug units, they are really awesome looking

Phil

Hello-

Here are the photos I promised. Sorry, but the SD9B was put in a alcohol bath to rid it of it's horrible paint job, so I wasn't able to get a picture of it. However, I'll post one when it's done soaking.

I have photos of the SW10B, the GP9B, and the SW9 switcher set with a cool looking headlight modification on the calf unit...

<http://www.modelrailroadphotos.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2662>
<http://www.modelrailroadphotos.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2660&cat=507>
<http://www.modelrailroadphotos.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2667&cat=507>

Very nice! Good stuff there! I also like :D your WCTR B23-7 #9830 "The Desert Twins"

very cool dude!:cool:

I'd be interiested in painting some locos in that scheme, but I don't know what decal company makes a set that has that styling of white striping with the black outline (on the nose and back end of each engine). Maybe those will just stay in an oddball scheme...

There are 2 Athearn U30Cs a U23B, 2 GP35s, and 2 S12s going into WCTR paint along with the SW7 set and the SW10B. The GP9's will to the WCTR as the Three Amigos were to the Union Pacific (The 3 amigos were the last 3 C&NW painted engines) and will stay in the orange paint.

I am thinking about making a U30c into a remote control slug unit. That would mean that grills would be removed, stack sanded off, and the cab would be sealed shut. Then, the top headlight will be plugged with a BLMA headlight cover, and BLMA remote control antennas will be put on top. 2 beacons on each side of the cab, and seperatly applied grab irons. This unit will companion one of my two other U30Cs.

Well, things are easier said than done. Looks like I've got a bit of work ahead of me!

Phil

Back