Slugs & Bugs (B-units)

Slug SPLX 9712 started life as an Athearn GP9 body that was given to me by the gentleman who addicted me to this hobby. Again the body was cut off of the decking and the ends and dynamic brake blister were cut down. I built a frame out of plastic shapes, added weight and trucks. It was originally built as a NS RP4U (I think that is the designation) but I wanted to use it on coal drags with foreign power so I am in the process of of a possible repaint but I have to admit I like the scab effect of the over paint. Heck, half the locos on my layout are like this and it gives the effect of a struggling regional. It really looks good sandwitched between a pair of high nose SD45's

SPLX S001 started life as an Athearn SW somethin or another that I was in the process of modifying for the old stell mill I had on the layout. During the rebuild I learned a very important lesson involving plastic locomotive bodies and hot soldering guns, thus a new slug project was born. I need to weather this one also....Rich

SPLX S011 is your basic F7A SPLX S009 is your basic F7b. I bought an Athearn AB set at a hobby shop in Florida on vacation and rebuilt both units. I cut out the fans off of the roof anf left the dynamics on. The A unit is powered and the B is a dummy. Lots of weathering on the horizon....Rich

HRGX 190 I bought a beat up six axle Model Power ALCO at a train show for a dollar and built this slug out of it. The trucks are old metal side frame Athearn’s from an old GP 9 that also became a slug. I realize the rail grinders in use now don’t have slugs but I found a photo of an old orange Pandrol Jackson unit and figured I needed one also. It has a dynamic brake on it as it was originally destined to work coal trains and I thought it looked cool so I left it on. Hopefully I will finish the entire grinder one of these days. Hopefully this is along the lines of what the original post was meant to be. Thanks, Rich

Drew Mitchem's GP60 B on the BN Allen Sub BNSF #342

showphoto.php

Guys these pics are just fantastic. I really was not expecting to see this many variations. I am surprised to see this many and that some of us do model these units. I know that they are not real popular in the real world now as they were in the 60's, 70's and 80's. I think they are great to have on the MRR mainline or yard! keep them coming..if you see 'em on someone else layout snap a pic and post! Later!

Yeah I know! Its a lot of change for one...yup....it's gonna be UP!:D
I have an undecorated E unit that I will be pulling the power out of and installing it into the B unit. :D

I started a SD60B project, but it got sidelined 5 years ago and is still setting!

Josh I lost out on the bid for my E8B unit....oh well better luck next time...
Darn I was rooting for you! Not that I've had the luck, I lost bids on 25 items since I left for work 9 hours ago, though I won 3! New UP GP60, and GECX AC4400 (to become a UP unit), and a Piko structure. No luck on any E9's for me either.

I did win 6 new & used Athearn motors for 18 bucks...so now I have some prime movers in my backshop...for over haulin!

josh what is the status on your roster for these units?

#3967 Slug (Project)
#3970 Slug (Project)
#3976 Slug (Coming Soon)

josh what is the status on your roster for these units?

#3967 Slug (Project)
#3970 Slug (Project)
#3976 Slug (Coming Soon)
Exactly as said, project, project & coming soon! #3967's basic shell is done, I just need a sheet of trim film yellow decal to make the BNSF patch on the side, and a Santa Fe switcher decal set. Then I have to finish trimming up the chassis (man thats a bear) and pay the $170+ for the two NWSL PDT's. Then it'll be done. #3970 is still a plain SD24. #3976 is to be built from an SD38/40 which I still need.

Have fun with that 2nd slug, it has the access doors I mistakenly left off my first slug body.

Yeah that will be a doozie...I am going to try my hardest emulate the prototype...then you and the gang can judge and critique!

If you look in my photo gallery, you can see the pics of my F7A slug, and it's companion F7B.

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:

Back