Six Units To Sycamore. CGW Project

adsbnsf

After months of on and off work, I finally finished my custom painted and detailed Six Chicago Great Western F-Units for my 192 train. This 192 consists of CGW 113-C F5A, 114-D F7B, 105-B F3B, 110-B F3B, 116-B F7B, and 107-C F3A. Paint schemes include the red and black and maroon dip and model for the mid 1960's. I don't model much transition era, but always wanted to make the CGW 192 train.

Detailing

Picture 005.jpg

Picture 008.jpg

Picture 013.jpg

Picture 012.jpg

Picture 061.jpg

In Paint

Picture 1.jpg

Picture 014.jpg

Picture 016.jpg

Picture 019.jpg

Picture 082.jpg

Final With Weathering

15_zps17fe5c9c.png

14_zps62e23c6d.png

23_zpsd9d5e872.png

17_zps29789f80.png

22_zpsd8b3fc77.png

21_zps51ca7553.png

20_zps1e670e26.png

19_zpsb64d8504.png

18_zps53be3d68.png

16_zpsf54444f0.png

Last edited:
Hey, I know this is an old thread but.... WOW!
I am in LOVE with your 6 unit lashup!
I'm impressed with the ability many of you guys display and more than a little envious... ;)
With no experience and no real artistic ability, I have to pay someone to do work like this. In fact, I've been looking for someone to do some custom CGW work a while but, unfortunately, haven't had a lot of luck. :(

Again - absolutely beautiful work!

I am in LOVE with your 6 unit lashup!
I'm impressed with the ability many of you guys display and more than a little envious... ;)
With no experience and no real artistic ability, I have to pay someone to do work like this. In fact, I've been looking for someone to do some custom CGW work a while but, unfortunately, haven't had a lot of luck. :(

Thanks for the kind words. The next step for these units is sound, but as we all know that is pricey for all 6. I am by no means a professional at this, just a great way to spend free time. CGW has always been a favorite RR for me since I grew up along the old mainline as a kid.What kind of CGW stuff you looking for?

Thanks,

ADSBNSF

CGW_Fan

Skills like this are easily acquired! Its not that hard. It's like the old comment, "How do I get to Carnegie Hall?" The answer is, of course, "Practice, Practice, Practice!!"

Gets some older scrap rolling stock, from a train show. These would be old, incomplete cars and locos called junkers, that would sell for a $1 or two at the most, (if priced higher, don't buy). Practice on these by removing things like cast on details, and adding things like real wire grabs etc. Re paint etc. Use spray cans if you don't have an airbrush. Get some scrap decals from your MR friends, or buy some cheap sets and practice, practice, practice. These junkers can be stripped and repainted as many times as you like. The secret is to keep doing it. We'll be here to help with the many questions you will have.

No one, except for a very few, is born with these skills. Anyone who is "good" has had to practice. Don't be envious, just go and start developing your own set of skills. Again, all it takes is PRACTICE!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex, What size and type material and how tall is your antenna? Also what thickness and diameter is your cab vent...Thanks...Don

As a proud Minnesotan I'm glad to see some CGW modeling, no matter how old it is. Just too bad the CGW was gone before my era (The 1970's) although I'm sure some locos were still in red paint then.

There was a guy in my club who used to have a lashup of 10 CGW F's, as they were famous for

Alex, What size and type material and how tall is your antenna? Also what thickness and diameter is your cab vent...Thanks...Don
The OP hasn't been on the forum since Dec 9, 2019, so you probably aren't going to get an answer.

Back