Sisal Rope Pine Trees

B_Kosanda

I've spent a few hours over the Christmans break making sisal rope pine trees. I learned these from Joe Fugate, but I'm sure varieties of these have been around for years. They're new to me, but after making a few dozen, they are looking much better. Here is a sample of one of the 10 I made this morning.

They are simple to make. Cut sisal rope into 3 inch pieces. Unravel the rope and place it on masking tape laid onto a section of wire. I use rebar tie wire, which is very inexpensive. Spin with a drill and then trim to the correct dimensions. Spray with brown spray paint and then Super 77 spray adhesive. Cover with Woodland Scenics conifer ground foam. I grind my foam in a blender to make it a little finer.

Bill

Very nice! This is a great technique. I have seen this before. I need to try this. I think I will give it a shot over this weekend! Thanks Bill. nice work!:D

Hello Bill,

Great looking Pine trees!
They do look better then your "old" ones!
BTW do you glue little grasfibers on the naked tree before you add the conifer groundfoam?

Jos

Jos,
I don't do anything after applying the Woodland Scenics ground foam. I just drill a hole in the layout and use hot glue to hold 'em upright. I don't have time to do more than one or two simple steps per tree. I figure I have more than 500 trees on my layout now and need to make a few hundred more, so time is of the essence. As you noted, these trees are definitely a step above the furnace filter variety I used in the past (they also take twice as long to make per tree).

cheers,
Bill

Back