Simple Newbie Question

If you ever were to go to DCC (digital command control) and your engines where thus DCC equipped you could match their speeds more precisely.
2 analog powered DC locos of same make and type will still not run at the same exact speed due to slight mechanical differences/friction levels.
DCC can correct 99.98% this by, I believe, decoders constantly measuring 'back EMF' [I believe is the term/been 8 yrs no RR] in each engine, as they roll and after you 'consisted' them on your throttle...
But go ahead and couple up your engines and run them...If they are not bucking you're probably alright..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone. Looks like my loco is having serious issues with screaching and stuttering, so I'm expecting Bachmann to send me a new one since the set is only 2 weeks old. At that point if they let me keep the defective one I'll gut it and use it as a mock engine. I guess that would work? Thanks again. We'll see what happens. My ultimate goal is to pick up a really nice DCC steam engine but it's over $300 so it will be a while before I pick that up.

Welcome to the group Rick! As stated above DCC is going to be your best bet to run multiple units together. With DCC even different brands with different decoders can be speed matched to run together flawlessly. You can even get as fancy as putting 2 in the lead, one in the middle, and a pusher at the end. With you just starting out, I would say DCC is the way to go. Remember with DC you control the track, with DCC you control the locomotive.

You can find great DCC engines on ebay... For it to have sound, ad must say "DCC/Sound on board"... "DCC ready" has neither sound or decoder.
You should have gotten the one good engine first instead of the inferior set..Do you have a DCC throttle yet ? If not, the NCE PowerCab to me is the Coke of controllers..Others are Pepsi, RC cola, and 7Up...
\

Thanks. The engine I am looking at is the Bachmann 80853 N Scale Baltimore & Ohio Early Large Dome EM-1 2-8-8-4 Steam Locomotive DCC Sound Value #7623. Do you think that is a decent engine? And is it a faux pas to run a steam locomotive from yesteryears with modern rolling stock?

And is it a faux pas to run a steam locomotive from yesteryears with modern rolling stock?

It's your railroad, you can do whatever you want! While I don't do it, my brother regularly runs double stack cars and Automax's with his steamers.
Sorry that I cannot answer your questions about N scale equipment, I am HO and I am totally unfamiliar with any N scale products. I can barely even see them!;)

Thanks. The engine I am looking at is the Bachmann 80853 N Scale Baltimore & Ohio Early Large Dome EM-1 2-8-8-4 Steam Locomotive DCC Sound Value #7623. Do you think that is a decent engine? And is it a faux pas to run a steam locomotive from yesteryears with modern rolling stock?
Not if your the UP

Not when you're paying the bills and calling the shots. It kinda depends on where your sensibilities and sensitivities lie. Do you have new acquaintances who might wrinkle their noses at your choices because THEY know better, or is this just going to be a fun thing for you? We all tend to find a balance between what is believable and what is achievable. And as the video shows (it's one of my top 10), you should never say never when it comes to railroading. If someone thinks of something, chances are very good it happened, and may still exist.

You're building a fantasy that is fun for you, not for those who wouldn't spend a penny on it.

Google UP's Heritage steam program for probably the best excursion train use of steam power and modernised 1950 - 60's passenger equipment. And there are others as well. Then there is the Association of American Private Car Owners (AAPRCO) who get together, or did till AMTRAK stopped renting them locomotives, not sure if that's changed since.

Back