Silly Putty and Resin?

funnelfan

I'm wanting to cast some parts like doors and ends from exsiting cars, and was thinking something like silly putty might be a great way to make a quick mold and not damage the paint on a car. Would this work? And can you recommend a good brand or type of resin to use that would be available at a arts and craft store like Micheal's?

Plasticine modelling clay works for me. I gave it a spray (one pump) of sunflower oil OneCal cooking spray as mould release, and used Davids Fastglas resin mixed as directed for the pour - the only problem is that it comes out pinkish-red, not sure if it is available in USA
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands

Woodland scenics makes a rubberized jel that you can even soak it in gauze and copy parts it forms every detail and stays flexable. I copied a junk car pile to increase the size and colverts in plaster.. I am not sure what to use for parts you want in plastic other than the modeling putty.

I have a resin kit in mind, from Micromark, is has the mold making rubber, and the resin you need to pour the parts. If I get it this paycheck, I'll tell you how it looks.

I used the woodland scenics stuff to make a mould and wasn't very happy with how it turned out.

I now use a casting kit from Bare Metal Foil. It works really well and the resin drys white so it is easy to paint later. I don't think you can get it from a craft store like Micheals though. I've heard good things about the Micromark kit, but have not used it myself.

I bought my last round of RTV silicone and casting resin from AeroMarine Products. Didn't have any problems. The resin dries to an off-white / ivory color.

eBay Store: http://stores.ebay.com/AeroMarine-Products

I didn't really like the idea of buying one of the commercial 'kits,' since you get a rather small quantity of material, and I really don't need more plastic cups and popsicle sticks...

Wow Nate, nice, but I don't think I quite need 5 gallons of mold making RTV silicone YET. I have yet to figure out how to make the "prototypes" of the items I'll be molding. Though they will be commercially available once I get the items made & all...

Wow Nate, nice, but I don't think I quite need 5 gallons of mold making RTV silicone YET. I have yet to figure out how to make the "prototypes" of the items I'll be molding. Though they will be commercially available once I get the items made & all...

Lol...I don't know what I would do with 5 gallons either. I mean, it's nice stuff and all, but when you're making molds for HO parts, 5 gallons would last forever!

I went with the half-gallon kits to see what the stuff was like.

Back