Show us your weathered boxcars and covered hoppers

There arent CSXT decals out there to apply over the patch? Like BNSF ones out there? Or do you just match the correct font and get a letter decal set?

There are CSXT logo decals out there, but there are no patch decals for the lettering on freight cars. You need to buy an alpha-numeric set in the right font, size, and color and put on every letter and number individually.

Been a little quiet on this thread recently- so I thought I'd throw some of my boxcar and hopper shots into the mix to get it going again.

First up is a CNW painted M&StL 40' boxcar (Red Caboose kit)-
2509152854_5fa4393a8c.jpg

And a "Route of the 400 Streamliners" boxcar (McKean kit)-
3819635364_dc12fe68b6.jpg

both were done with Microscale decals. The 692 has since gotten it's roofwalk and metal wheels.

Last is a CNW cement service PS2-CD 2600 covered hopper from Athearn- the car has custom-made decals I did in Adobe Illustrator.
4477529189_771b5743dd.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Matt Holman
Spring, TX

Dang, LOS, you nailed those two cars. Even though they're O scale, your attention to detail really shows in those pictures. Excellent work.

Been a little quiet on this thread recently- so I thought I'd throw some of my boxcar and hopper shots into the mix to get it going again.

First up is a CNW painted M&StL 40' boxcar (Red Caboose kit)-
2509152854_5fa4393a8c.jpg

And a "Route of the 400 Streamliners" boxcar (McKean kit)-
3819635364_dc12fe68b6.jpg

both were done with Microscale decals. The 692 has since gotten it's roofwalk and metal wheels.

Last is a CNW cement service PS2-CD 2600 covered hopper from Athearn- the car has custom-made decals I did in Adobe Illustrator.
4477529189_771b5743dd.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Matt Holman
Spring, TX

Very nice! I especially like the hopper; it will inspire me to finish my PRR hopper and some touches to my boxcars.
Cheers.

Thanks Airslide, it is definitely intense in the amount of time that went into it. I wanted a really heavy fade without being too much of a "rust bucket". Being O scale with large details, I'm gonna go back to those blue axle caps and paint the bolt heads a deep rust color like I see everyday in the yard.

First real attempt at trying to make it look used, pretty happy with the results. Used india ink wash and chalks.
js1024_my_trains_016.jpg

First real attempt at trying to make it look used, pretty happy with the results. Used india ink wash and chalks.
js1024_my_trains_016.jpg

That's looks great. Is it an Accurail car? If so, you can easily carve off those two moulded on grab irons and put wire ones in. A little touch up is required and the weathering will hide the scar. Again, a great looking weathered car that really brings out the boards and details.

Cheers.

Back