Show Us Your Shops / Servicing Facilities

Rico,

How did you create the concrete platform? Man that looks great. I'm going to be building the same one very soon.

Thanks!

Michael

I used Walthers street track inserts with styrene between them.
Some were from my old layout while the rest was copied from more styrene.
If you're building the same loco shop paint the interior first, I didn't and it was a pain to do later.:rolleyes:

Rico / Larry....WOW! Nice stuff. Everyone has some nice stuff! Even the photos are great! Keep 'em coming! Thanks for replying!

Allied Rail Rebuilders Shops

100_2551.jpg

Here's my engine service area & in-ground turntable. All what you see was scratchbuilt.

If you don't mind me askin, Wat gave you the insperation for that structure?
But its a very nice structure and I love the interior lighting as well.

If you don't mind me askin, Wat gave you the insperation for that structure?
But its a very nice structure and I love the interior lighting as well.

I found it on RailPictures.net. printed the picture in color & copied it. The whole structure is made out of Plexiglass from a Walmart sign & the roof is made out of Aluminum flashing. The lighting is out of the roof of a long passenger car wired into the DC(loco) side of a cheap train transformer.:)

I found it on RailPictures.net. printed the picture in color & copied it. The whole structure is made out of Plexiglass from a Walmart sign & the roof is made out of Aluminum flashing. The lighting is out of the roof of a long passenger car wired into the DC(loco) side of a cheap train transformer.:)

Wow it is a very nice set up

Wow it is a very nice set up

Thanks. Wait till you see what I'm working on now. Another engine facility w/another turntable & a large scratchbuilt structure w/lots of the same kind of lighting. Enough space to store about 25 engines.:D

Thanks. Wait till you see what I'm working on now. Another engine facility w/another turntable & a large scratchbuilt structure w/lots of the same kind of lighting. Enough space to store about 25 engines.:D

Wow! Awesome. Keep us posted. I'm loving all this! Good stuff!

Here's the shops/servicing facilities on our outdoor G scale layout (the roundhouse in the first photo is a newer replacement for the one seen in the second photo):

I have always liked the garden railroads, but I've also been curious to them. Are they a pain to maintain with weather and critters? Great looking stuff you have also!

I have always liked the garden railroads, but I've also been curious to them. Are they a pain to maintain with weather and critters? Great looking stuff you have also!

Thanks.

A pain? Well it can be sometimes. Battling the elements and keeping up with track maintenance reminds me of the troubles real railroads have to put up with.

We're at 8000 feet in the southwest rocky mountains, so snow is a big issue. During the winter, we take in everything except the track to protect from heavy crushing snow.

Critters can be bothersome as well. Pack rats like to take little details and will sometimes more figures around and may even nibble them a bit.

Elk are the worst. They trample track pretty badly if they happen to walk on it. Thankfully the more prevalent deer seem to avoid it. We've had a black bear mosey around the layout as well, but he didn't seem too interested.

Problems aside, it's still fun playing with trains outdoors.

Matt...that is quite the amazing setup you guys have there!! I've always wondered the same questions P&W asked you. Thanks. I bet that bear would have been a little suprised had you hit the horn on one of those sweet engines!!

Likewise I really love your work

I have these photo's on my Thread about Stuff I've been working on, but, I'll put 2 of them here.:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Back