Show Us Your Shops / Servicing Facilities

P&W

Hello All,

My grandfather and great grandfather (opposite sides of the family) both worked maintenace on the RR. So, that is what I'm into as far as modeling.

I don't have a layout built yet since we moved, but I did have one when I was younger. The roundhouse, turntable and machine shop were the focal point of my layout. I would like to see what has been done in the 15 or so years I've been away from the hobby as far as maybe turntables, roundhouses, fueling facilities, etc.... I'm into steam, but diesel would be great too (I actually have a lot of both). Thanks! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This view probably shows mine the best.

IMG_6613csharadj.png

-Crandell

Thanks!

Nice! Thanks guys! They look good! Looking at the diesel facility, I'm thinking I'm not going to have room to do what I would like to do, but I have a while to think about it. :)

I was at Caboose Hobbies today, and I saw the Walthers transfer table. It's really really cool.

I was wondering if it goes with my prototype 1998-Present D&RGW and BNSF. I'm gonna be getting the modern diesel house with 3 tracks, could I use that with the transfer table? Will that work, and also be protoype for me?

Thanks,

Michael

This is a tight shot from a service facility, from a layout long gone I used to have. I regret not photographing the scratchbuilt roundhouse and the turntable, which I sold at a hobby show years ago. The only remnant I have left is the coaling tower that I built from scratch. Hoping someday to have a larger space to accommodate it.

I was at Caboose Hobbies today, and I saw the Walthers transfer table. It's really really cool.

I was wondering if it goes with my prototype 1998-Present D&RGW and BNSF. I'm gonna be getting the modern diesel house with 3 tracks, could I use that with the transfer table? Will that work, and also be protoype for me?

Thanks,

Michael

Montana Rail link/Washington group/Livingston Rebuild Center has a transfer table at their shops in Livingston Montana. It will work as most Model RRs are scaled down versions of the real thing

Wow great stuff guys!
Here's mine thus far, Walthers Diesel Shop with interior crane added.
Next up will be lighting and weathering...
I noticed a little late that the roof is not seated, it's a work in progress. :eek:

Here's the shops/servicing facilities on our outdoor G scale layout (the roundhouse in the first photo is a newer replacement for the one seen in the second photo):

layout7r.jpg

SilvertonYards2.JPG

Wow great stuff guys!
I noticed a little late that the roof is not seated, it's a work in progress. :eek:

That's a neat shot. Keep us posted.

Wow great stuff guys!

Rico,

How did you create the concrete platform? Man that looks great. I'm going to be building the same one very soon.

Thanks!

Michael

I'm in the process of starting a large modern engine roundhouse(square/rectangular) for displaying all of my engines. I already have 1 area w/a turntable & scratchbuilt engine shed, but I can only store about 10 engines there. The new project will store about 25 or 30 engines w/large slanted sheds leading out to a 9" Atlas flat turntable. I may move my larger turntable to this new shed. Haven't made up my mind about that since it's already wired in w/switches. I'll be taking photo's for myself as I go. Probably take about a month to scratchbuild the structures & about a week to lay track & wire up everything.
I took out my Walmart Dist. center & 24 WM semi's to start this. Also, took out a large warehouse at the end of my rail yards. I drew it all out in pencil in the area where it's going but will probably change it many times before final construction. Each shed will be from 10 to 12 inches long & 2 inches wide by 3&1/2" high. w/double doors.

Here's my engine service area & in-ground turntable. All what you see was scratchbuilt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back