Should you tell your wife......?

It's not like she's going to miss it once you start. Good will goes a long way. My wife supports the hobby because it keeps me out of bars and away from strange women.
Train store cartoon.jpg

I had my Hobby when we met 24 years ago she supports me 100% since I’ve switched to O Scale she said we ought to buy a shed and put it by the garage for my O scale layout. I currently have it in the garage where there is No Air conditioning or Heat she says this way at least I have air-conditioning and heat in the shed. I would tell your wife you want a layout it’s worth a shot. My wife has support me in everything thing I do 20 years ago I also Restored a old Autocar truck I was wasn’t scared at all when I decided to buy it I just said I’m going to buy this old truck and take it to Semi truck shows she said if that’s what you want to do then do it but we have a special relationship that has died in this day and time. It’s called True Love and respect for each other.

Last edited:
I had my Hobby when we met 24 years ago she supports me 100% since I’ve switched to O Scale she said we ought to buy a shed and put it by the garage for my O scale layout. I currently have it in the garage where there is No Air conditioning or Heat she says this way at least I have air-conditioning and heat in the shed. I would tell your wife you want a layout it’s worth a shot. My wife has support me in everything thing I do 20 years ago I also Restored a old Autocar truck I was wasn’t scared at all when I decided to buy it I just said I’m going to buy this old truck and take it to Semi truck shows she said if that’s what you want to do then do it but we have a special relationship that has died in this day and time. It’s called True Love and respect for each other.
You have no need of Lotto tickets then. Never top that jackpot.

My wife has always been supportive of my hobbies. She does take an interest in the trains and last summer when 4014 the Big Boy was in Wisconsin she went with me to search out good camera spots and on the day it came through. I do tell her when I have ordered something and rarely does she question when the it appears on the credit card.

My wife does raise horses for herself and to sell. She has 3 large greenhouses, 2 of which are hydroponic and a staff of 3 that also tend to the outdoor veggies to sell to the farmers who then sell at local Farmers Markets. Those are her hobbies in retirement so you can see why I get no grief. TomO

My wife generally supports my model railroad hobby. There are times when she wants me to help with something around the house, especially during the pandemic when we mostly isolate. There is one thing she did several years ago that has caused me to spend quie a bit of money. I have a bunch of
rolling stock, including a lot of older steam loco models. She wanted to hear them go, "Choo-choo!" As I started in HO, off and on, for about 65 years, everything was in DC, including the current layout was wired for that. Net result, acquired DCC power, wiring the control panel to select between DC and DCC. Next, I needed to convert some of my steamers to DCC with sound. (NO WAY I can convert over 100 locomotives to DCC even without sound!) Converted six of the larger hawgs to DCC with sound. Bought one 2-6-6-2 logging engines with DCC and sound. Acquired a number of diesels with sound, as I model the transition era. Now one of the advantages of DCC is being able to run more than one at a time. But, since I can't walk and chew gum at the same time, I only run a single train at a time. As the cartoon showed, at least she knows where I'm at when the whistle blows! :)

As a hobby shop owner... I see this every day, theres even a special place on storage to keep products of clients that wants to hide them from wife.
I'm planning to print lotery winning numbers, so they can "probe" they win all this models in a lotery for a good cause.

In my case, Im so lucky because my wife told me "pick a room" on our new house just for my trains, toys, models... food, bed... oh wait!

Back