Should I Return to HO?

Brakeman Hal

Over a year ago, I re-tracked my 127 foot Folded Dogbone layout from HO to O-Scale 2-Rail.

Now I'm finding that my choices in Steam and Diesel engines and rolling stock is severely limited in wheel configuration and Road Names.

Re-railing back to HO would not be a big problem, as I'll continue using the same benchwork, but finding a buyer for all that O-Scale 2-Rail flex track would be a problem, as would the Pacific 4-6-2 loco, a GP 35 Diesel, and all 8 pieces of rolling stock.

My desert mountain scenery would actually look better, at nearly double in apparent size. (1.8 times actually.)

So shall I make the big switch again?

Brakeman Hal

002.JPG

Last edited:
If I were to start over again, I'd look at On30. It's more funky, there are things available (especially if you're handy) and I think it would be better suited as I look towards retirement in 10 or so years.

Railrunner 130, I've been retired for over 21 years... I'm 83 years old. :)

I would still have to re-track AND buy On30 equipment, but I'll consider it!

Brakeman Hal

How much of the HO stuff would you need to purchase if you made the switch? I know you switched from HO, but how much of it do you still have?

I just took out about 1/4 of my HO track to make a change that will actually work out better in the long run, but it's something I'd think long and hard about doing again. It is a PITA.

and 83 is just a number....At almost 59 I gotta tell myself that.....lol

How much of the HO stuff would you need to purchase if you made the switch? I know you switched from HO, but how much of it do you still have?

I just took out about 1/4 of my HO track to make a change that will actually work out better in the long run, but it's something I'd think long and hard about doing again. It is a PITA.

and 83 is just a number....At almost 59 I gotta tell myself that.....lol

Patrick,
I have no HO items left.
If I made the switch I would need a Mikado or Consolidation steamer and a GP35 Diesel Loco, plus 6 or 8 pieces of assorted freight Rolling Stock, and a Caboose.
I would also need 43 pieces of 36" Flex Track.

What's a PITA?
Hal

JazzDad...
Once you try O track, you can never go back. (I think that's how the old saying goes.)

I believe that, JazzDad!

I was just waiting for someone to tell me not to forsake a good thing that I have so much time, labor, and expense invested in!

Look at the difference between my O-scale 2-Rail and the little HO engine! No way am I going back to that small equipment!

Brakeman Hal

001.JPG

I guess consensus is a great thing, but asking us to help decide what you model? I don't have any idea. Pick what makes you happy and do that. Most guys who move from HO to O do have to deal with less layout and less of a selection of equipment, though lots of stuff can be had if you're willing to shell out!

As others have mentioned, it's a preference call that you'll have to make. I think you will certainly have more options for locomotives and rolling stock with HO. That being said, you have some nice looking O scale equipment that I bet looks very nice running around that spacious layout you have.

What's a PITA?
Hal

Robots_walk_the_earth got it...Pain In The Ass.

My reason for asking was if you had to repurchase the items to make what you wanted, then don't change. To get new items in HO would probably cost as much as keeping what you have and trying to find what you still want. I know used equipment doesn't sell for as much as new, so if you switch, you'd lose a bit on your original cost.

I like your layout and 2-rail O scale. If it were me I'd stand at what you currently have...

I don't guess that I realized that you had a 4-6-2 Pacific?
Did you post a photo of it on the forum?
Who is the manufacturer?

If I were you, I would NOT even think of downsizing. Nothing sounds as nice as "O" scale on the move!

I would review why I went for O in place of all that I had invested in HO, and then very critically analyse why I think it's a great idea to undo all that thinking. I don't mean to be judgemental, but if you made a rather basic error in information-gathering and understanding when you changed last time, what about YOU have you corrected so that you don't make the same errors this time? IOW, do you labour under inherent biases that afflict your judgement, and are they merely guiding you to making another mistake?

Have you looked at O Scale Resource magazine or O Scale Trains magazine for some ideas for engines or maybe rolling stock you could add to your layout.

As I don't think there are any switches (TOs) on your dogbone [ it's not a folded DB ], If you went to HO you'd have room for a small branch line coming off the main, climbing a grade, winding its way across a short trestle to small coal/copper/salt/talc mine. You would not need a return loop or wye as the 3-4 ore jennies would be pushed up the grade and train merely backed down with the empty or loaded cars..On the flat you could have one more switch for a stub end siding for these cars and where a main line train backs into to retrieve these cars, destined for an imagined foundry/manufacturer. Both TOs of course, can be manual, with ground throws..
This addition would lend a bit more of RR activity to the big picture, if and when you want...

Last edited by a moderator:

Back