Should I Jump an Insulfrog

gregamer

Greg Amer
I'm using Peco Insulfrog turnouts. I like the way the points throw, the stability and the tie plate detail. But there are some drawbacks. One drawback is that the point, closure and wing rails are powered by the points making contact with the stock rails. This could be a problem because it relies on the points making good mechanical contact on clean rail, if the rails get dirty, there may be no power.

I've noticed that the Insulfrog turnouts have ties cut back beneath the turnout which would allow you to easily jumper the stock rails to the inner rails of the turnout. Is it OK to jumper these rails? I see a couple of potential short zones: where the closure rails meet the insulated frog, and where the insulated frog meets the frog rails.

Anyone jumper their Inulfrogs? Any problems?

Insulfrog_Bottom_1.jpg

Insulfrog_Frog_1.jpg

Another thing you can do is run a feeder from your track power bus to each route beyond the turnout.

You should have an sheet of instructions that describe your options. I use the electro-frog version and jumper the rails to avoid the problem you describe. But I also have the frog power switched by the contacts on the turnout motor.

One drawback is that the point, closure and wing rails are powered by the points making contact with the stock rails. This could be a problem because it relies on the points making good mechanical contact on clean rail, if the rails get dirty, there may be no power.
In using Peco turnouts for over 30 years in both N and HO scales on both home and club layouts, I have never experienced them having this problem.

I've noticed that the Insul frog turnouts have ties cut back beneath the turnout which would allow you to easily jumper the stock rails to the inner rails of the turnout. Is it OK to jumper these rails?
Hmmm, I could have sworn that I have or at least have seen Peco turnouts that has jumpers in there from the factory. Yup, I just went and grabbed a few Pecos that I had sitting around. I found 5. Judging from the box, the oldest one has jumpers. There are two that have the gap as you show, and 2 others that have no gap at all. ????

I see a couple of potential short zones: where the closure rails meet the insulated frog, and where the insulated frog meets the frog rails.
Yes, that is a potential problem. It would depend on how sloppy and out-of-gauge the wheel sets on the cars / locos are. I believe wheels meeting RP-25 dimensions that are in gauge should not have any problem.

Anyone jumper their Inulfrogs? Any problems?
No, and I would recommend not doing it. Why spend all that time and effort to swap a perceived potential problem, for another possible problem?

Usually the shorting problems I've experienced with the Insulfrogs is right at the point. the two closing rails aren't insulated enough and wide metal tires on the cars will short between them. Once again this is mostly on axles that are slightly to wide in gauge.

Of course all of this is one big reason I mainly use the Electrofrog type.

Back