Should have worked but . . .

N-gager

OK - I'll try to be as clear as I can.

What I attempted to do was use an Atlas snap switch to power and control on-track lighting. The set-up is N guage using an Bachmann EZ track switch.
The wiring seems simple enough. The three wires from the stock momentary swith box, connect to the three connectors on the right side of the Atlas snap switch and then continue on to the turnout. The on-track lights connect to the A and B with the common wire to the common terminal with the common connecting to a separate power supply and the + connected to the + of each light. The snap switch (left side) is supposed to provide continuous power to the selected light (A / B).

Here's the problem. When the wiring is connected to the turn-out and Atlas snap switch as per instructions, the turn-out works in only one direction. If the positive poles are switched, the atlas switch clicks, but does not throw the relay and the turnout will not move in either direction.

When the Atlas snap switch is disconnected, the turnout works well. I decided to connect two bachmann switches to the same controller and found that both turnouts failed to work. One controller connected to one turnout work as expected.
My conclusion is that either the controller switch is wired strangedly OR more likely the capacitor isn't large enough to handle two devices.

My only other idea is to use an Atlas switch controller instead of the Bachmann BUT I don't want to burn out the turnouts (although the voltage would be the same, but I'm not sure about the capacitor).

Any thoughts??

Maybe check out the Atlas website for a recall on the controllers.
I got an email a while back from them but didn't read it as I use DCC to control everything.

I would double check the wiring diagram for that snap relay. If the turnout only throws in one direction, that tells me that somehow the common to either the relay, or/and the switch machine is connected to the other positive of the relay and switch machine.

We had a situation with a regular switch machine on my CB&Q friend's layout. He had a Double slip powered by 2 machines. One machine would throw only one way. I discovered that he had accidentally connected the common of this one way machine to one of the positive poles of the machine. When those wires were moved to their proper connections the switch machine worked perfectly.

So that is what I think it is, an incorrect wire hook up.

Checked the wiring and all is correct. Decided to run the Atlas snap switch directly from the Bachmann slider solo (after testing the Atlas device with a multi-tester. The Atlas would just buzz when the slider was thrown. IMO confirms that I have a 'power' issue while using the Bachmann slider switch.

Not sure what route to go now. If I were to use an Atlas #57 switch (which I understand is under factory recall) would the capacitor in it be too much for the Bachmann N Gauge EZ turnout? My guess would be that I'd have to run resistors on the + side from the switch to the turnout to protect it.

Not sure it's worth the effort and $. All I wanted to do was use the Atlas 200 to control track-side lights at the turnouts.
I can do that manually but it's not quite the same : )

I see now while you may be having a problem. Atlas electrical switches are simple slide switches. There is no circuitry, no electronic parts, no capacitors or resistors, inside the box containing the switches. Atlas components are of 3 basic types. The switch machine controller is a momentary contact switch. You slide the button from one side to the other, and to activate the turnout, you push down on the button. But don't hold it down. The next type is a simple Off/On. The last type is a series of DPDT, center off slide switches.

It sounds like you're trying to use a DPDT type switch to control a turnout, instead of a momentary switch. Continuous power to an Atlas solenoid will burn that solenoid out, and quickly. I would use an Atlas switch control box. I think that another thing that may help you is to order Atlas's Wiring Book. Here's the link;
http://shop.atlasrr.com/c-988-hobookscat.aspx

The wiring book you need is the third from the left, top row.

Last edited by a moderator:
When the Atlas snap switch is disconnected, the turnout works well. I decided to connect two bachmann switches to the same controller and found that both turnouts failed to work. One controller connected to one turnout work as expected.
Ok, It threw me off in the first post when you said snap switch instead of snap relay. Anyway, I looked up the Atlas 200 and understand what you are doing and what the problem is. Have you tried connecting the Atlas 200 all by itself without the actual turnouts connected? Your right it should work.

Since two Bachmann turnouts work individually but not simultaniously, I'm guessing there is something limiting the current from the Bachman controller. So there is not enough electricity to throw two coils.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, It threw me off in the first post when you said snap switch instead of snap relay. Anyway, I looked up the Atlas 200 and understand what you are doing and what the problem is. Have you tried connecting the Atlas 200 all by itself without the actual turnouts connected? Your right it should work.

Since two Bachmann turnouts work individually but not simultaniously, I'm guessing there is something limiting the current from the Bachman controller. So there is not enough electricity to throw two coils.

Yep - eliminated the turnouts from the mix and nada and I agree with you on the Bachman controller. Have run out of ideas other than manual / separate toggles on the track lights. Can't see dumping the turnouts for another brand when they work well on their own (not to mention tearing up the layout to replace).
Only thing I can think of is to find a switch that would work the atlas 200 and limit the power to the turnouts with resisters. Wonder if an ac test meter could measure the temporary voltage/amps?

Back