Shortline paint poll

Which version of the North Texas Central paint scheme do you like best?

• Total voters
I agree with Carey, your opinion is the only one that counts. Personally I like RCH's design. Primarily because shortlines are usually strapped for cash and would most likely go with an easy-to-paint design.

Cjcrescent said:
Eric;

One question. What's your favorite? In my mind, that's the only opinion that matters.

I like mine the best, of course!:D:p Although, I have to admit RCH's is pretty good also.

1st:mine
2nd:RCH's

I went along with RCH's design, but I have to go along with what has been said in that ATSF5997 needs to go with what pleases him. Just to add: ATSF5997 needs to choose a scheme that he feels confident in being able to paint and to get the right decals/paints.

Last edited by a moderator:
RexHea said:
I went along with RCH's design, but I have to go along with what has been said in that you need to go with what pleases you. Just to add: You also need to choose a scheme that you feel confident in being able to paint and to get the right decals/paints.

I'm not the one painting locomotive up for North Texas Central RR, that is ATSF5997 that is doing that! I just designed a paint scheme that he could use for it!:)

RexHea said:
I went along with RCH's design, but I have to go along with what has been said in that ATSF5997 needs to go with what pleases him. Just to add: ATSF5997 needs to choose a scheme that he feels confident in being able to paint and to get the right decals/paints.

Agreed. I think it would be cool if ATSF5997 choses to use both RCH's & mine.(after all, real railroads usually have more than one paint scheme)

JeffShultz said:
I like the black on the top & bottom of RCH's design as well. Frames the colors nicely.

Thanks for the positive comments, folks. As someone who has painted the majority of my locomotive fleet, I tend to prefer simplicity in design. With that said, there are some elements of Empire Builder's design that I like very much, such as the stand-alone flag on the short hood. Very nice touch.

Jeff, I basically ripped the idea for the scheme from our local commuter line, as seen here:

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/misc-t/tre567akr.jpg

Mine's just a simpler version of that design. The black roof is practically a necessity after seeing what the locomotives do to the first following car's roof (I drive over the tracks every day on my way home from work). I can only imagine how dirty the locomotive's roof would be if it weren't dark blue. The photos I saw of the new Albuquerque Rail Runner show how bad an idea it is to have a white roof, and they've only been in service a very short time.

Anyway, I agree with Empire Builder: there's more than one locomotive in Zak's fleet, so the possibility to paint them in different schemes is certainly there. It would be neat to see the fleet in a "unified" variety of schemes.

Back