Short passenger cars???

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
I know this is totally unacceptable to you purists amoung us, but isn't there an "abbrieviated" streamlined passenger car on the market? I need some for one of LGM's Christmas gifts. He's requested a passenger train, but we have some tight curves (mountain RR, ya know:D ) and I don't want the problems of full length cars. I can't find any online. Am I losing it (CJ and Rex, please don't answer that:D )? I was thinking someone marketed 60' passenger cars...

Eric;
Brian is right. Use the Athearns. They are 72' long compared to a "normal" passenger car of 80-85'. The RPO's and Baggage cars are a good size as well when you consider some of these were only 60' long. The Athearns are designed specifically for short radius curves and small layouts.

Cjcrescent said:
Eric;
Brian is right. Use the Athearns. They are 72' long compared to a "normal" passenger car of 80-85'. The RPO's and Baggage cars are a good size as well when you consider some of these were only 60' long. The Athearns are designed specifically for short radius curves and small layouts.

Thanks guys. Only one problem. I went to the Athearn site and they don't show any D&RGW cars. :eek: Maybe I can talk him into ATSF...

Good point guys!I'm sort of in the same situation with my boxcar fleet. I have 4 50', but they look as ong as 60' boxcars in my opinion. At a recent model show I picked up two 50'boxcars, yet they turned out to be 40'. Yet they look much longer for some reason.

Looks like I'm not the only one having these problems.

Actually there WAS 72 foot passenger cars so,don't rule out the Athearn cars as not being "normal" ..:D

Last edited by a moderator:
grande man said:
Am I losing it (CJ and Rex, please don't answer that:D )? I was thinking someone marketed 60' passenger cars...

Heheheheh! Well, see there? Everything worked out just fine.:D

grande man said:
I was thinking someone marketed 60' passenger cars...

I know it's already too late, but this will be an FYI then.

I'm pretty sure it was IHC that was making the 60' cars.

SpaceMouse said:
I know it's already too late, but this will be an FYI then.

I'm pretty sure it was IHC that was making the 60' cars.
That's some good info there! As I'm looking to buying a couple IHC Blue VIA cars for Christmas... So they're 60' then? That's much better then 85'!

Nope, according to an online measurement, the IHC cars are 85'!
I took their lenght in inches, converted it to cm, times that by 87, converted it back to feet and it was 85. Guess I'm buying less cars then.

Back