Short Circuit With Bachmann EZ Track Figure 8

I normally model in n scale, but purchased recently the Bachmann Echo Valley setup for around the Christmas tree. It comes with their EZ Command DCC controller and a sound-equipped locomotive and a simple oval of track. On the recommendation of my local hobby store I purchased some additional track, including their 60 degree crossing (Bachmann PN 44542) and set up a folded figure 8 as in the picture below. Unfortunately this layout keeps resulting in a short circuit when I apply track power (rapid blinking of the stop and the f1 led's). There is no reversing loop so what am I missing? It works just fine when set up in a simple oval. Thanks.
Ron

HO Christmas Layout 50x42 offset 24x24 with crossover.jpg

First off, the 60-degree crossing should not be causing the trouble. Each route should be isolated from the other, unless the piece is defective.

How many electrical feeders do you have going to the track? If you have more than one, be sure they are connected the same way as the others. If one feeder has the red wire going to the outside rail, then all the red wires go to the outside rails.

Do you have a multimeter? You could test the crossing piece to be sure there isn't a fault. You can check continuity by rail.

A visual helps. Be sure that all power connectors are on the correct rail. Sometimes it's easy to get turned around until you trace the rails like this.
1670879318369.png

Last edited:
1. Just one connector that came with the kit. Makes no difference whether it is connected to the inside or the outside rail.
2. No tools on the layout, loco is not derailed, each track section is connected correctly.

I did two tests. I removed the x-over and created 2 independent ovals with spare track. Connected outer loop to track power - OK. Then connected inner loop to track power - OK. I can only conclude at this point that the x-over is defective. To further test I will have to pick up a multimeter and test, or take it to the LHS and have them test it or let me try a different one.
Ron

1. Just one connector that came with the kit. Makes no difference whether it is connected to the inside or the outside rail.
2. No tools on the layout, loco is not derailed, each track section is connected correctly.

I did two tests. I removed the x-over and created 2 independent ovals with spare track. Connected outer loop to track power - OK. Then connected inner loop to track power - OK. I can only conclude at this point that the x-over is defective. To further test I will have to pick up a multimeter and test, or take it to the LHS and have them test it or let me try a different one.
Ron
yes, sounds like the xover must have the short.

Unless the innards of the locomotive in one or two spots on the track arrangements get moved due to the strain on curves internally, which can cause metal parts to contact other on some models, and thus causing seemingly ghost-shorts, I don't see how the problem can be attributed to anything but the crossing. It was assembled improperly. You can meter it the same way you metered the tracks when the figure-8 was in play. Place one probe on one tail, and across from it, then on the adjacent rails, one at a time. At some point your meter will show a fault, but when the probes are on what should be rails isolated from one another.

Back