Shelf life of Scenic Cement?

Vince-RA

I found an old "Scenery Kit" purchased probably 10 years ago. It has a bottle of Woodland Scenics Scenic Cement included. It was somewhat separated, but after a good shake it seems to have mixed again. Worth trying to use, or should I ditch it in favor of some fresh stuff?

I'm not much of a bettin' man, but in this case, I'd make an exception: I'd lay odds it's still good even after 10 years. If you can shake it up completely so that there's no solids left on the bottom (or side, or however the bottle was laying in the box for 10 years), then you will be sure and utilize it all to maximum advantage.

Epilogue: it seemed to work fine (but I used so much of it on my fake coal load that the liquid swelled up the wood block under it and blew the end of the coal car out, whoops)

Darn. A suggestion: If you repeat this, place a dam of sandwich wrap on top of the wood, a sheet just a bit bigger in perimeter than the inside perimeter of the shell of the car. You want it so that the load, when added, will depress all but the sides of the wrapping and form a shallow 'pan'. Then, add your glue. Personally, I would add some undiluted wood glue to form a block of the material against the sandwich wrap, but not so much that it shows as a pool near the top. Later, say after one full day of drying, maybe more, dribble a more diluted mixture to fix the top grains of 'coal'. Later, you should be able to remove the coal load, with a little luck, if you ever wish to for some reason.

Epilogue: it seemed to work fine (but I used so much of it on my fake coal load that the liquid swelled up the wood block under it and blew the end of the coal car out, whoops)
Lol sounds funny if annoying, I always think waste not want not…..I would certainly agree with the. If it’s not dried out give it a go and the. Try somewhere where it cannot do too much harm comment. But then I have tried all sorts of weird ideas, 90 percent have worked some definitely were best avoided but I do not mind everything is a learning curve

Back