Shelf Layout

JGB1977

While I have dreams of having a vast railroad empire one day when I have the space, I thought that I should at least start with something to learn the tricks of the trade. After much playing around with various designs, I have come up with the following that fits into the space that I have of 40 inches x 16 inches.

The setting would be modern day, but using diesels and steam.

The idea is that this is a small rural village off the main line that has some historical value and get visited by a tourist steam train.

There is also s freight service that serves the local industries.

Trains come in at middle left or right where they get placed in the yard for classification. From there the three industries at the top are services.

Shelf LayoutA.jpgIs this a workable layout?

As it stands, I would say no because there isn't enough room on the main line for a locomotive and a couple of freight cars. If you had perhaps 18 or so inches extending on both sides it would be a great switching problem.

If you eliminate the passing siding on the front side of the mainline and the thru track parallel to the yard ladder, you can extend the passing siding on the back side of the main line using the locations of the two switches eliminated.

Check the spacing of the yard tracks, they should be a minimum of 1" from center to center. 1.125" or 1.25" centers would be better.

There aren't any dimensions on your track plan, so it is difficult to tell if you have left enough room for your village and the industrys. Try drawing in the buildings you plan on using to see how they fit. Remember to leave room for roads, sidewalks, etc.

Also consider looking at Fremo-N module standards if you are living in an apt or rental property and may have to move.

Hope this helps!
Glenn

I don't have alot of switching experience but I can't figure out how you would get into the industry spurs. Looks like the switch is the last piece of track on the left if the blue line is the layout perimeter.

To be truthful your "railroad" looks like a conglomeration of tracks put anywhere & everywhere just because your CAD program let you. Go to your LHS or public library to get a track planning book on layouts. If you don't find one for just shelf layouts, most larger plans can be used for ideas on shelf layouts. And there are a gazillion shelf track plans on the internet already. Do a Google or browser search for the type & size of layout you want using the parameters you've listed. Then go to Google &/or Bing aerials to look at how real RRs are laid out in the areas you're interested in modeling. If you have a favorite RR see if you can find their track charts to give you some ideas. And if someday you do get the room for your empire make this little switching layout part of it. Way back when that's how John Allen started his Gorre & Dapheted. His started out on a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood to become a huge layout w/ the original layout included.

Thanks for all the feed-back. I have made a number of changes and beleive that it looks better then what I startred out with.

ShelfLayout-001_zps42f8e69d.jpg

Back