Servo control for turnouts, manufacture choices?

videobruce

Tower Operator
I have a large number of turnouts to control and after doing some immense research I find there seems to be three current major choices to control SG90 type servos for turnouts (if there is any others please name them);

(bold are not script related, no PC programming)
Arduino
Berrett Hill
MegaPoints
(UK)
Pololu
Tam Valley

Arduino & Pololu both use confusing, very complicated 'scripts' that basically make one learn programming language which should be unnecessary just to move a set of points normal or reverse.
clear.png

That leaves MegaPoints in the UK and Berrett Hill in Maryland. So my questions are to anyone that is knowledgeable about these;

What are your experiences with these? Good and bad?

Berrett Hill;

Megapoints;
https://megapointscontrollers.co.uk/product/servo-controller-12/?v=79cba1185463
(ONLY available directly thru Megapoints, they ship 'Royal Mail')

Tam Valley (apparently back up in business;

Last edited:
I, too, am looking into this for my new HO layout which eventually will have up to 24 TOs. I ***was*** looking at the Tam Valley Depot servo line of products, but they have stopped production. So I am seeking to learn from the research you have already done.

My question is: why is the new Walthers "Layout Control System" not an option for you?

Also, am looking at the Cobalt digital system:

Perhaps these do not meet your needs, but willing to learn if you have time to share your knowledge, thanks!

Steve J

Thanks for the link, but it looks most of those Walthers items are out of stock and I don't see how they are controlled.
Those Tortoises and the ones from Walthers are too large for my application in N scale beside I already have the servos.

After a number of e-mails to & from a David Fenton at MegaPoints, I updated my OP.

Last edited:
I further updated my OP by adding Berrett Hill out of Maryland. Lower cost than MegaPoints and US made.

Looks as if there's an opportunity for someone who can design something inexpensive and reliable here!

Kevin Hunter (owner) is very easy to talk to and work with. There are a few quirks that I don't agree with. The most important one, Kevin found a inexpensive workaround which solved most of the problem not using his 'Touch Servos', but using a inexpensive SPST toggle switch instead.
His 'Touch Toggles' $9 each (available with a dual LED or separate R & G LED's). They are 3/4" square capacitance operated and are sensitive to finger presence.
wink.png
Just to be clear his Touch Servo buttons have their place, just not with my setup and a CTC panel.
The 'toggle switch adapter PCB is the 3rd attachment, about $2. each plus a $1.50 SPST toggle. I used larger flat handle to more clearly show position (over regular small diameter toggles) since I'm not using LED's (that I originally planned for with Tam Valley).

Down for normal, up for reverse. Not ideal, but I've done it before w/o LED's, it just takes getting use to and a good eye to line your route. Control Panel shown below (the bottom view, the blue base toggles are the ones for the turnouts not wired yet since the servos haven't been installed yet unfortunately
frown.png
).

The 'Setup Remote' is used to program the 'Servo Base' (controller) via a RJ45 jack. The 'Servo Base' requires 5vdc thru a 5.5mm coaxial plug (not the ideal method in my book). The idea was to prevent shorting out the PCB due to the wrong polarity (no reverse polarity protection apparently). I purchased a industrial enclosed PS (one that requires a separate grounded power cord) instead of a bunch of 'wall warts'. ;) When (and if) the dust settles I will have eight modules to receive power.

(The OP has been updated)

Attachments

• Servo Base.JPG
    Servo Base.JPG
    785.1 KB · Views: 125
  • Touch Toggles & toggle switch.JPG
    Touch Toggles & toggle switch.JPG
    591.8 KB · Views: 109
  • SPST Toggle PCB modification connector.JPG
    SPST Toggle PCB modification connector.JPG
    447.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Setup Remote.JPG
    Setup Remote.JPG
    847.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Ind. 30A PS wall mounted.JPG
    Ind. 30A PS wall mounted.JPG
    868.3 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Not sure how you plan to "control" then (manual momentary switch, manual non-momentary switch, DCC, etc)

If going the DCC route, I am new to all this and just got a Arcomora DCC shield for this https://www.arcomora.com/mardec/
I got the kit, and it was VERY easy to assemble. 3kits + shipping from the Netherlands to the States was about $30. It accepts inputs as well as performs output. Each port has an assignable DCC address. 16 ports per DCC shield. You need to supply your own Arduino Uno, which I have a few.
Once assembled and hooked up I ran the Mardec program. You just answer some simple questions with a single key stroke. No real programming required. I configured ports 1 to 4 for servos and assigned them DCC address 51-54. Then I programmed JMRI to use address 51-54 for a turnout, and it worked as expected on the first try. You can also very the speed at which the servo operates along with controlling frog relays a few different ways.
BUT I am having some issues using the SG90s that I had already installed on my layout. Long story they work fine when plugged directly in the DCC shield, but not when using an extension between the shield and servo. Other higher quality servos I have work just fine with the extension. I have a thread here on this.

Servos + Arduino for me and I have 108 switches.
I'm removing 36 tortoises that were already installed.
My servos (switches) are all WIFI

These guys might have what your looking for.

Back