Sept/Oct ARG

L&N Castle

Evening all. Hey guys,I was talking to Grandeman this afternoon,and he and I,kicked around some ideas for possible ARG,meets or just for some of us to get together. One idea was discussed between CJ,Myself,Jimmy,and Rex. The basicidea is/was that maybe we could get together out at the platform in Irondale, and if I remember correctly,the thought was maybe to meet one Friday afternoon/evening,and watch trains coming in and out of Norris yard. Another idea that Eric and I discussed,was a possible road trip to Decatur,on a railfan/photo outing,maybe get lunch at a resturant,and just see what's coming in,and going out over the Tennessee River Bridge. A third option,would be,maybe a road trip to Selma,and check out some of the historical sites,and visit the yard there i Selma.Afourth idea,I came up with,was maybe ride over to Leeds,and go over Double Oak Mountain,and maybe down to Childersburg,and maybe Sylacauga,and see what's on the Cof G/NS.I realize that a lot of this requires some driving out of the way,but,I was thinking that maybe with the weather getting some what cooler,that maybe a railfan ARG,might be a better idea,than being cooped up inside a house. Any way,if any of guys have any,other ideas,or suggestions,please let me know,because,with Football season here,and in a few weeks to a month,or so,the big holidays of Thanksgiving and Christmas will be upon us. So,I hope we can get at least,or even two ARG meets,in before then. Let me know what you think. PEACE.:) .William

Last edited by a moderator:
William,

Sounds like a good idea! I would be up for any of them. I just went to a Jawn Henry symposium last Sat. It seems Leeds, AL was a good claim to a Jawn Henry, possible the original claim. There are 2 tunnels (Coosa Mtn and Oak Mtn) southeast of Leeds on the old Columbus and Western (C&W). The stories around Leeds are that the race between Jawn Henry and the steam drill took place at the east portal of the Oak Mountain tunnel.

Please remember when picking a date that I have a standing operating session on the 2nd Sat. of the each month. The Talladega NASCAR race is the first weekend in Oct. There would be a lot of traffic east of Leeds at certain times of the day.

All of the ARG'ers are welcome at the 2nd Sat. ops session. Just let me know you are coming.

Glenn

Morning. The letters ARG,stands for Alabama Rail Gang. It's a title that a bunch of us from here in Alabama,gave to ourselves when we get together once a month. Basically what we do is,run trains,or railfan,and basically "talk",as it were:rolleyes:,about Modelrailroading,and other points of interest. In fact,most of us are here on the forums. William.

To expand a little bit on what William wrote, most of us live within 100 miles of Birmingham and try to get together once a month at someones layout to run trains or railfan. During this summer, things have been very slow, but we hope to get back to pace soon.
Several are on this forum and that is how we came up with the idea. It's great fun with running trains, loads of laughter, camaraderie, and a sharing of ideas. Nothing is formal about it and the "oops" are laughed off. The "members" that are on this forum are: RexHea, L&N Castle, GrandeMan, Little GrandeMan, WCWBrassHat, CPRMan, CJcrescent. There is about 4 more and guests are always welcome. One session at my place had 13 show up.

Wow, its a little far for me to get there, 178 miles, but If you ever come down this way, Phenix City, for one of the trips, I'm game.

Sure thing and if you are in the area let me know and you can come by for a visit. Be glad to have you. What's your first name? (easier to reply ;) )

Hey ARG'ers! With all the Bama home games and some that I want to watch on TV, it is tough for me to come up with a Saturday. Is a Sunday a problem with church/family? I could have one from 10-4 or 12-4 or 6.

Sure thing and if you are in the area let me know and you can come by for a visit. Be glad to have you. What's your first name? (easier to reply ;) )

Sure thing, By the way the name is Eric, but most refer to me as TB, short for ThoroughBreed.

Rex,

I don't have a problem with a Sunday as long as you turn the NASCAR race on!:D :D

I was in a club years ago that met on two Sundays a month from 1pm to 4pm. We even had a couple of preachers as members. It gave them a nice break between sermons.

TB: If you get up to the B'ham area, let me know and maybe you can visit me. I have a monthly operating session on the 2nd Sat. of the month at 7pm. I have a N scale layout that is 32' x 32'. We run a 10+ man crew. I have a couple of guys driving 2 hours to attend the sessions.

If you want to talk trains with someone close to you, wander down to Hurtsboro. Its only about 30 miles from you. Go into the Perry Hardware store downtown and ask for Rick Perry. Tell him Glenn Samuel said for you to stop by and introduce yourself. Rick moved and restored the old CofG Hurtsboro Depot.

Glenn

Evening TB. Hey man,I was down your way,back in Mar/Apr,for a series of sleep tests at East Alabama Medical,I wish I had a phone number for you,would have called,and maybe we could have hooked up. How often do you get by the depot in Opelika? Last few times I was there,it looked like there had been a bit of rail activity.ie CSX,had left some cars,but no NS traffic.Also,I was wondering what is the number of trains that you see coming by at any one time? At most,when I am at my Mother's house in Alex City,I hear,or see,at least a dozen,do you see more than that? William.

I live right here by Columbus, and the NS traffic is at least twice daily on the old Columbus line. But since they discontinued the service to Warm Springs and Hamilton, its slacked off quite a bit. They still service the AL state docks, Toms foods (old CoG yard there I believe), and Ft. Benning (DODX flats), but most traffic goes to Macon.

William,

Since you haven't hosted an ARG meeting, why don't you take the lead and set up the date and activitiy? I'll be glad to help you.

Glenn

As an honary member i'd love to be there with you guys, but i can't make it in person
cry.gif

Love to Glenn but the stopover is only 2 hours at LA, don't recon i can make Bama and back in 2 hours,,, life is a bummer at times

Back