"semi permanent" way to couple ho cars

RailAce

"New to the form"
Over the past year or so, I've been doing restoration work on a museum layout, Due to how it was constructed some areas of the track have become very warped. This in turn causes the cars to uncouple and derail. And due to the nature of the layout derailments can be very tricky to get to in some cases. I've done extensive work under the layout to try brace and shim the roadbed to correct the warping. But there are still some areas that cause problems. My though is to semi permanently connect the car together. Though I haven't been able to find a product to do this. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to do this. Or is there another solution to this.

Thanks

I have a couple of log cars pairs. I remove the couplers from one end of each car. Then connect the two cars with a dogbone type connector. Just like the steam loco and tender.

But, this will not stop derailments caused by warped roadbed.

Replace couplers with drawbars. Screw drawbar to one end of car and have a screw or post on the other end of the car. The cars go together one way, but won't come uncoupled. If you use a post or screw without a head, the cars can be lifted off to remove or uncouple them manually.

I, too, have been toying with removing couplers, but for a different reason. I would like to go with link and pin, but they are too costly. I have looked at the 'dog bones', but even they are expensive (for what you get). Maybe I need to bite the bullet an etch some brass drawbars.

Back to helping Ace: Do you have the hole in the unattached end of the drawbar reamed out a bit to allow for track undulation?

If you don't mind the look, a bit of shrink tubing like they use for wiring connections would probably also work. If you apply just a bit of heat, it should tighten up, but you'll want to be careful not to melt the train cars on either side.

I have made some dogbone drawbars from ordinary paperclips. Make a loop in each end of an appropriate-size piece of paperclip. Screw the drawbar to the coupler pocket mounting screwhole (if there is one...if not, drill and tap one). Leave the screws loose enough that the drawbar can move up and down some. This should permit vertical movement without the cars becoming uncoupled and derailing. If you still have derailment problems, you may have to do more extensive mods to the roadbed.

Back