Selling off my inventory of Freight cars.

Ash Pit

I have been interested in selling off my inventory of freight cars in a one lot move. When I saw that Hattons was interested in what I have for sale, I jumped at the chance to work with them.

Hattons Model Railroad, a Model Railroad Retailer in Great Britton, has been advertising that they want to buy model railroad Inventories. I saw my first ad for this in the March Model Railroader Magazine. I have 139 HO freight cars that I am interested in selling. I've made contact with Hattons and through negotiations, I am now packaging up all of my Freight Car Inventory. It's my understanding that my inventory will be sent over to G. B. and they will look over all of it an make me an offer. I emailed photos of five of my freight cars to Hattons and the price that they quoted me was fair. We shall see if the price they are willing to pay me is as fair, once they have my inventory. The honest truth is I found the prices that HO Freight cars are selling for on Ebay to be laughable. I was considering simply giving my inventory to a Model Railroad Club, that is around 50 miles away. With Hattons, I might actually be done with the process of selling off what I have in as painless a method as possible. We shall see. This is related to my Building of my On30 layout, as it will help with the cost of a new layout!

This topic was brought up in my New On30 Layout thread; however, I thought that it should maybe be a stand alone topic, so I have moved it to here.

Last edited:
At this point, having talked with Hattons about my inventory. Coming to some semblance of a value and Hatton's communications with me over the process, I feel confident in recommending them as a purchaser of large inventories of model railroading equipment. Keep in mind that I am only speaking from a freight car inventory, no passenger or locomotive inventor was included. Although it remains to be seen what they will actually offer me for my 133 freight cars, I found Hattons to be good communicators and fair in their dealings, so far. When I started to think about selling off what I had, I had talked to Trainz and found this company's ideas about what they were willing to purchase to be limited too only models that included the original boxes that the cars came in. With an inventory that included purchases from more than thirty years ago, what would be the chances that I would hold onto boxes for such a long time, especially when the boxes are so useable for other purposes!

I will let you know how this all pans out.

Last edited:
Last Wednesday the 12 of May, my inventory was picked up by Fed Ex. I was told that delivery would be on Wednesday the 19th of May. Emails from Fed Ex received today, the 17th of May state that all eight of my packages will be delivered to Hattons today. Hattons is located in the town of Widnes which is about 11 miles as the crow flies from Liverpool in England. Delivery will be much faster than Fed Ex had originally stated. I would expect to hear what Hatton's will pay fairly soon. Awaiting with Baited breath.

Last Wednesday the 12 of May, my inventory was picked up by Fed Ex. I was told that delivery would be on Wednesday the 19th of May. Emails from Fed Ex received today, the 17th of May state that all eight of my packages will be delivered to Hattons today. Hattons is located in the town of Widnes which is about 11 miles as the crow flies from Liverpool in England. Delivery will be much faster than Fed Ex had originally stated. I would expect to hear what Hatton's will pay fairly soon. Awaiting with Baited breath.
Good luck.

I have been informed by Hattons that the process for Payment will take a bit of time as they need to create a list of what they have received from me. In this way, they can create an accurate valuation. Once they have this then they will make me an offer!

Received this message from Hattons on the 25th:

"Everything is here safely and we're waiting on it to be listed at the moment. Due to it coming in unlisted this may take some time sorry but bear with us and we'll have a complete offer sent over as soon as we can for you.

I hope this helps, and if there is anything else that we can help with, please don't hesitate to get back in touch."

Good news that everything arrived safely and in good condition. There are 133 freight cars that they need to inspect, so making an offer to me might take some time.

Gawdalmighty -- Didn't know that you had that many! Guess I just was not seriously thinking?

How is the track laying progressing along?

Track laying is going slow. We spend 4 days on Leech Lake and three days here at home and because there is lawn mowing and other stuff that needs doing, I don't get much time to work on the layout.

I am somewhat disappointed in the Hatton's deal. They've had my inventory for a couple weeks and haven't made and offer yet. They said it might take some time, so I need to be a bit more patient, I guess.

I am a Hatton's customer. I have bought some British locos for my WW2 layout. In my world as we pored resources into saving the UK from the Nazis The sent us their Locomotives and rail equipment needing repairs to be sent back as space was available at the end of the war. Meanwhile the UK equipment rail and buses were used where used wherever they were. That is how British equipment got onto my layout mixed with US equipment. Everything is 1944 or earlier and the addition of the British equipment makes the layout pop. Hatton's is very supportive of their customers.

I have been notified by Hatton's That they are offering me $919.82 U.S. for my 133 freight cars I sent to them. This works out to $6.91 per freight car. This is far more money than I would get attempting to sell them on Ebay; so, I have accepted their offer! This transaction has exceeded what I had expected to be paid! Yes, some of my freight cars might have cost more than $20.00 each and an average cost might have been $10.00; or, so! Still, I feel I have done fairly well for myself!

Back