Selling detail parts?

Should I include directions and/or a template?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, directions & template on paper

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Yes, directions, no template on paper

• Yes, template, no directions on paper

• Yes, directions & template on cardstock

• Yes, directions, no template on cardstock

• Yes, template, no directions on cardstock

• Yes, directions on cover stock, no template

• Yes, template on cover stock, no directions

• Yes, directions & template on cover stock

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

jbaakko

Diesel Detail Freak
So, I've been testing printing some custom product cards, for the detail parts I plan to cast in the coming months. However I have a question for you.

Should I include install directions, and a cut template? If so, card stock, or plain paper?

The only thing I've decided is that the product card will be card stock (business cards).

Select your option, and gave me your thoughts!

Also, if you feel they should be a certain way, lemme know. So far I figure directions on the back of the cover stock with a template too would turn out well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't vote. Any buyer will take the template and directions even if they don't need them.

But this should be in part a business decision. The template and instructions are value added. But this value added comes a t a cost. You have to write the directions and draw the template then print it. You would have to do this for every part.

The questions are:

Do you have volume to justify the expenditure of time and money?
Does including the instructions give you a competitive advantage or allow you to increase your price point?
Will the parts be usable by the customer (valuable to the customer) without the template and instructions?

Of course, it would be nice to include them. But what value are they if you cannot turn a profit and stay in business.

My feeling is directions and template if the item needs the template. Which would be for those items that are specifically located somewhere on the end item. Alternately, the item can go in multiple locations. By this I'm thinking of P2K locos where they give you a template to locate antennas and such, depending on which road you're modelling.

I think directions are a must. Not everybody is an expert. I'm interested in steamer parts, Cal Scale offers about a half-dozen different injectors. Without instructions, I'd be lost. As it is, I'd have to buy one of each, to determine which one to use on the loco I'm fiddling with. Some generic info would be nice.

Kennedy

So we're split evenly right now between both directions AND a template, on the cover stock, or a separate piece of paper.

Thanks for the comments Chip & Kennedy, very helpful.

I'm not TOO worried about value Chip, the prices will run about $8-15 for the cheaper stuff due to the limited runs I'll do, after all I'm only casting these by hand, I'm not starting some super mass-producing company! The only reason to sell them, is I see a use for the parts I'm going to cast for myself, may as well make them available to others. I guess directions would be helpful, as Kennedy says, not everyone who buys them is an expert, however they are scratch-basher's supplies for the most part, such as the nose for the SD70M, or the windows to install in a Dash 9 cab to make a BNSF unit. A template is needed then too, if I include the directions, so that they can properly cut the whole in the unit's cab, w/o taking too much excess out.

I voted for the "Yes, directions & template on paper ". I don't like it when they have the directions on the package itself. Like I just gor a walthers blulilding and the signs for the building are on the cover.

-Smoke

josh,

I this is the first I've heard of this... you can count me as a customer. high hood detailing rocks man. what are you going to be casting in? if you did full detail sets to make up the lacking on something like athearn BB's, I would pay some good money for that... I mean, a set that would include MU hoses, plow, wipers, grab irons, comm equip, grap irons, and, what would be killer would be a modeled cab interior, with some type of intergrated solution for headlight lighting source mounting... anycase, what will you be offering?

Early "kits" will be offered for bashing a GP50 into a MP20GP, and a GP30 into a GP39E/M. I'm also looking to offer the 4 window cab sides for a Dash 9 (BNSF prototype mostly), and the parts for various SD70M's (I think I'd make that one big kit, and you can choose your battle from there).

They'll all be resin cast. I would love to get more going though, talking to rapid prototyping companies (CAD), and some mold companies to make me perfect molds for the products. I also have yet to contact MPI about the MP20GP's and seeing of I can't get plans to scale down, to have the molds made of. ;)

I'm also looking to get deeper in, with full super detail/conversion kits, but that'll come later.

Thanks for the great ideas though, I'll add them to my list!

Any GP30 really. Its just going to be at least 3 resin parts you assemble. To install you remove the cabinet off the GP30 you chose, and install with a little adhesive. I'm still in the process (3rd try) to make the prototype perfect, and in 3 parts to mold.

Looks like the first kit is on the... um... drawing board? I'm going to assemble the prototype here in the coming months, then create the molds. It should be 4 main parts, and then detail parts coming from Details West. I plan to offer a few options:
- Complete detail kit, includes everything needed, less couplers
- Basic detail kit, includes coupler pocket, less brake rigging & other details
- Raw kit, just the basics, not coupler pocket, no brake rigging, no details, just the 4 resin parts...

I'll keep ya'll in suspense as to what the kit will be, for now, until I get it started...

Back